Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 11 days post slam

1. Back To Top    #1

11 days post slam

Hello - i am currently 11 days since i SLAMed due to reading 1 CC. My water is crystal clear still but my FC is still at 22 (31 FC during slam due to CYA). I passed all SLAM requirements so dropped adding bleach 11 days ago. It has been rainy a lot here so not much UV to burn off FC which i assume is why it is dropping so slowly. My concern is my PH. I read i cannot get accurate reading with this high of FC... What steps do i take to ensure wverything is still in balance? Everytthing else should read fine, correct?
    36,000 Gallon, 40x20 IG, Vinyl, Hayward S- 200 Sand Filter, 300,000 MasterTemp heater, 1hp Superpump, Polaris 9550 sport, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: 11 days post slam

The elevated FC shouldn't effect your other tests, only the pH. For TA, you can add an extra (3rd) drop of the first reagent (if needed) to help neutralize the chlorine before adding the green color and drop testing. Once you get a good clear day of sunshine it should knock the FC down quickly to get it below 10 so you can run a new pH test.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Troy IL

Interesting. I didn't reliaze that caveat of having a high FC. I just passed all 3 test to finish my SLAM this morning, and my FC was at 25ppm. It's been sunny and in the mid 70's here today, so hopefully I won't be stuck in the 20's so long. But I guess my plan of coming home from work and testing the pH and TA are altered somewhat. i'll test my TA and see how insane it is and see what to do after that.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

The false reading of high pH when the FC is too high is no big deal.....IF you tested pH first and found it in the lower 7's or so.

However, if your pH was borderline when you began the SLAM (8.0+), then it could be an issue but even then not really.

It's chronic high pH that can cause the damage and you will be able to test (and adjust) in less than a week. You should be below 10 ppm FC by then and will likely find your pH to be just fine.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School