Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding "Vacuum Port" to existing pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding "Vacuum Port" to existing pool...

I have an idea to add a vacuum port to my pool…I think it might work..I only have 1 skimmer basket, 2 returns..

If you have followed my previous posts , I am replacing my pump with the Hayward 5206 Variable Speed, I am also adding a Salt and Swim to the pool, I had an air leak as well, and since I suffer from the renovators disease “Ifyourgonnamightaswella” I am going to build a new pool equipment pad and re-plumb.

Sooo, I was thinking of buying a deck box, setting it on the pool deck, plumb a suction line into it, through the back, and attach the vacuum hose. Then I could use the deck box to store the vacuum head, brush and hose. Should I add a check valve inside the deck box, to stop water from siphoning back into the pool, keeping some water in the line?

I would also like to use it as a “Main Drain”, every once and a while to help circulate the water, by leaving the vacuum in the pool upside down.

I think for operating this,
    I would shut down the pump if running,.
    Drop the vacuum and hose in pool
    Adjust the valve to either mix skimmer and vacuum or just vacuum
    Turn pump on- self priming would start

Any issues that I am not aware of?

Attachment 48351
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding "Vacuum Port" to existing pool...

I think a 3 way jandy valve would work great for that
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup- I was thinking that as well..
    Tim
    ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________
    14 x 28 x 5 1/2 feet - 16000 gallons - IG (1960's concrete) Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter (Sand Master SM2306T), 1 hp Purex Challenger? (Faded label), Municipal Water.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know how often you would have to fill the hose with "fresh" pool water to resist algae growth in it. Post pics when done, I am contemplating the same thing. The box would be a convenient place to store the hose and a simple cap/plug would keep the hose full. Or maybe a check valve installed on the hose (vacuum end)?
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

So - no nay sayers so far---
    Tim

6. Back To Top    #6

Or... you could just buy a robot and never vacuum again..

Before Robot I used this...

Vacumn1 Port.jpg

What I liked about it was you could turn the vacuum line on slowly to keep the pump from caveating.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

From personal experience, self-priming through a vacuum hose doesn't work well, Takes way too long. I think you're gonna have to at least unhook the hose long enough to fill the majority of it with water.

I'd put an inline leaf canister in somewhere so you don't load up the pump basket or have pine needles slip through and get stuck in the impeller. And don't skimp on the valve. A Home Depot cheapie won't last. But the idea is sound.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the feed back!

The robot is not in the budget this year - not after a Variable Speed Pump and Saltwater Chlorine Generator. Although I am keeping my eye out for a deal...

Never thought of the inline leaf canister- you are so right about pine needles. When I bought the house, I thought, no deciduous trees, no leaves just two pine trees - do they ever stop dropping needles...

Oh - I can also understand how ancient cities would end up buried- I was removing the old patio stones that were used for the pool pad, to find another layer of patio stones, to also find another layer of patio stones, to also find a path of stepping stones shaped like feet...and a set of aluminium blinds...
    Tim

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd worry about airlock in the hose as it comes up into the box and then back down.

Why not re-plumb one of your returns into a dedicated vac line? That's how my pool is set up, shallow end return, skimmer in the middle of the pool, and a deep end low wall vac line. If the skimmer level ever gets too low, then we at least have the deep end low wall vac line to pull water into the pump as a backup.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

10. Back To Top    #10

As for the pine trees, they do stop...after you cut them down. I thought the same thing for the last two years, but we just removed a couple of trees - a ~40' pine and 60' oak. Both were beautiful, but within 10-15' of the pool and wreaked havoc all season, heck all year. The extra sun we see is well worth it now, if it ever warms up enough to swim.

Mitch - I too only have 2 returns and would be very hesitant to give one up for a vac line.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I replumbed last year at my old pad as best as I could, to have a pair of diverters to allow the vac line to be switched to a return and back, as needed. Unfortunately, I plumbed in an airlock and had another motor that blew up after doing so. I'm not going to be trying that again...
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.