Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water lawn with 0 FC pool water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water lawn with 0 FC pool water?

I'm in New York state, inground pool was winterized last Fall and is still covered. Will probably open in June. The water level has risen all the way to the pool deck. Just this past week we hydroseeded (grass) a large portion of our property in an attempt to expand our lawn. We only have one well on our property and we found our very quickly that our well will not keep up with the water demand for germinating new grass seed. I tested the pool water and there is 0 chlorine and PH is 7.2

Do you think that pool water is safe to use to irrigate our grass seed? I have an electric submersible pump and several hundred feet of hose and some sprinklers I can drag around and use to water the grass seed on days when it is extra hot and no rain.
    - Max

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water lawn with 0 FC pool water?

Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I backwash into my lawn and haven't had any issues with damage to it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd worry about the salt content. Grass seedlings are pretty sensitive. Unless you planted Bermuda Grass. Nothing can kill that stuff.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, so from a chemistry standpoint it looks like it would be fine to do. BUT another question... My electric pump is pretty weak and I'm not getting enough water pressure to run a sprinkler with any kind of coverage. So... how about using the pool pump to feed the sprinklers? I could hook-up PVC pipe to it on a long run and step it down to garden hose size attached to a 4-way splitter to feed 4 sprinklers simultaneously. Could I damage the pump doing that? Would I be in danger of blowing out a garden hose?
    - Max

6. Back To Top    #6

The pump doesn't much care, as long as it stays full of water. It can take more pressure than the rest of the system. And if you pop a hose, what happens? Water leaks out. Big deal. Although I suppose it could wash out your new lawn. The amount of water a pool pump can move is pretty amazing. A backwash hose becomes not unlike a firehose, very hard to control.

By the time you buy all the fittings and extra hoses, you could buy a cheap submersible pump that comes with garden hose threads on it already.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

My pump system is designed to discharge water from a hose spigot on the pump discharge, no issues.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

There are not too many submersible pumps made for what you are proposing. Many times they will state "do not use hose over 20-30ft. When you go 100's of feet, your pressure loss is significant, and it makes the pump work harder and stresses it. Also, if the grade is anything but either level or downhill, you can for sure forget it.
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

9. Back To Top    #9

Just wanted to update everyone about how things are going... Rather than mess with the pool pump, I went to Harbor Freight Tools and bought a utility pump for $80. Put one hose off the pump into the pool and another hose from the pump to a series of splitters with 8 garden hoses connected with shutoff valves. The thing shoots the sprinklers with better water pressure than my house spigot. After watering the grass seed for 5 days with nothing but my pool water (0 chlorine), we are getting a good rate of germination. Any place that has gotten watered consistently is growing grass. We got a good amount of rain last night as well, which helped. So yeah, I'd say this experiment was a success. Now if I only didn't have to burn out our water well pump along the way, it would not have been such an expensive experiment!
    - Max