New in Boston

May 19, 2016
Boston, MA
We recently moved into our new home with a pool and are really excited to get started with enjoying our pool. Of course, if it was only that simple :)

Background: We have a 23,000 gallon Vinly liner pool with Sta-rite filter system (two concentric filter cartridges).
The pool has one skimmer and one Equalizer (no main drain) and it has two outlets.

Beginning: Being a first-timer, we got the pool opened by a professional pool company. The guy looked at the filter and said it needs to be cleaned and charged me extra $120 just for that.
Anyway, once it was all set and done, it seemed to be working fine. The flow looked good as much as I could tell. Our pressure gauge was broken so I don't know what was the pressure when the pool opening guy left.

Problem: We started noticing the flow getting very low, the skimmer losing suction and the pressure going high (by this time, I had replaced the broken gauge with a new one).
So the pressure reading was about 32 psi. I cleaned the filter (simply with a garden hose) and the pressure went down to about 25 but came back up to 35 in a few hours... flow still very low (it had improved slightly after cleaning the filters)

I have since cleaned the filter a few times and it has not made much of a difference. Then I found this thread :)
Cloudy water going on three weeks!!!!!!

b.t.w, the filter looks dirty and is slimy to touch even after I thoroughly rinse it with the garden hose

- Tried running the system without the filter cartridges: Pressure = 15 psi.... flow was great.. .water was gushing out the outlets :)
- Soaked the filters overnight in dishwasher detergent (in a bathtub since the filters are so big) -- just replaced the filters this morning and the flow was still very good, almost as good as it was without the filters. Pressure reading: about 18 psi. Woohooo! (NOTE: The filter still looked equally dirty and slimy even after the overnight soak but something happened to them to release the pressure so significantly)

The real problem: After about an hour, I went back out to check on how it was doing: flow looked visibly slower and the pressure reading was 28 psi :(
While I was still out there (like for 10 minutes), the flow looked even slower.

The real question: What should I do now. 1) Soak the filters in acid (if yes, which acid)? 2) Buy a new set of filters (I see them available for about $300), 3) try something else

Any response is much appreciated.

Thanks and enjoy your pool.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect your problem is algae. Organic material is not always clearly visible yet still manages to clog-up filters quickly. The #1 cause is improper chlorine levels. That doesn't mean just "shock or bomb" the pool like you hear at the pool store, it means to "SLAM" the pool like we do here at TFP (link below). But to do that we really need a full set of test results. If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, that has to be your first step. It's not hard to test your own water, and I guarantee there's no better feeling than to know YOU are in control (See TF-100 link below in my sig). Great to have you with us!

Thanks very much for a quick response and the warm welcome :) Here are the readings from the last two tests at the store (I will get the test kit like you suggested)

.......................... May 18th .... May 16th
Free chlorine............. 0 ..... 0 ## We have been adding Chlorbrite regularly but it is not increasing the chlorine level
Available chlorine...... 0 ..... 0
Calcium hardness...... 230 ..... 240
CYA......................... 0 .... 35
Total alkalinity.......... 90 ..... 60
ph........................... 7.2 .....7.2
TDS......................... 700 .....700
Phosphates............... 200 ..... 250 ** We were at 2700 a few days ago and had to use Phos Free to bring it down.. I cleaned the filter after the 48 hr. Phos Free cycle

So how do the numbers look? Based on this, should I get started with SLAM or do something else?

Thanks again,

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I suspect your problem is algae. Organic material is not always clearly visible yet still manages to clog-up filters quickly. The #1 cause is improper chlorine levels. That doesn't mean just "shock or bomb" the pool like you hear at the pool store, it means to "SLAM" the pool like we do here at TFP (link below). But to do that we really need a full set of test results. If you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, that has to be your first step. It's not hard to test your own water, and I guarantee there's no better feeling than to know YOU are in control (See TF-100 link below in my sig). Great to have you with us!

Well, take this advice cautiously because we really don't advise doing anything based on pool store tests, but if these were accurate, I'd be inclined to say two things may be responsible for chlorine disappearance - low CYA and algae. They show 35, but the CYA test is one often done wrong at pool stores. It might be lower. The other numbers are all fine if they are true. Chlorine will vanish for two main reason - sunlight and algae. If the CYA is too low, the sun grabs it. Add to that algae and it goes really fast. A SLAM would be the way to go, but you have to have your own test kit first. Suggestion - if you order the Taylor K-2006C, just make sure it is the "C" model because it has more reagents. If you order the TF-100 (which I recommend), include the XL size for additional reagents. With either kit, also look for the "Speed Stir" to mix quickly and efficiently.

lakeview, I also want to emphasize (because you asked initially) that there really is no amount of cleaning (or filter product) on those filters to resolve an algae issue. I had that same issue myself years ago. Once the algae in the water is removed, then your water flows much more efficiently and the filters don't need cleaning nearly as much. A pool doesn't have to be murky green to have algae which is something many owners experience out of frustration ... until they find TFP. :)

Duraleigh, Texas Splash,

Thanks for your replies. The water currently is mostly cloudy and somewhat green. It keeps going back and forth from clear to cloudy... has happened a few times since it got clear the first time after pool opening.

I will get the test kit right away and then start the SLAM process once I have the kit. Anything I need to do while waiting for the kit to arrive?

How about the filter? Do I need to clean it again before SLAMing?

How do I get the CYA up? The CYA chart says that I need to have a min. 30 for the SLAM to be effective

Cheers

What does your water look like?

You definitely have algae. So by using the Poolmath calculator, I determined that in your pool, one gallon of regular 8.25% bleach would increase your FC by about 3.5 ppm. So until the test kit arrives, I would simply add one gallon of bleach to your pool each day near the return jets (slowly). That's it. I wouldn't worry about the CYA yet because your new test kit will give that to us. The pool store's estimate might have been way low or too high, so it's best to wait on that one. But the bleach will be just fine. If your filters clog-up again, just give them a nice rinse with a pressure nozzle, but don't use any chemicals on them right now. Use only the bleach. You can sweep and brush the pool walls and bottom, but that's about it. Oh, please try to add your pool info to your signature for future reference. :goodjob:

What kind of bleach are we talking about... just regular Clorox?

Also, for the test kit, I can find " Taylor K-2006" at a local store but not the "C" I can find the 2006C online but that would take a week to arrive. Is it worth the wait or should I just buy the K-2000 from the local store and get started with SLAMing from tomorrow?

For bleach, Clorox is fine, but it's a brand name so sometimes it's a little more money. Not sure about your options in MA. But just about any regular bleach will work. When it comes to bleach, look for:
- Percentage (i.e. 6%, 8.25%, 10%) - main ingredient "Sodium Hypochlorite"
- Just plain/regular; no splashless or scented)
- Julian date; bottles have a marking (i.e. 16031) which equates to 2016 day #31 or Jan 31st. So you want a Julian day close to 19 May (16-132).

If you can get a K-2006 (regular) for now, get it. You can order additional reagents on-line as needed. This way you aren't waiting longer to start your testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all for your suggestions. I could not get the kit but I shocked the pool and that seems to have made a difference. Water is clear now but the pressure is still around 30 (I cleaned once after shocking, a lot of dirt came out and the filters are not slimy anymore). After cleaning the filters, the pressure did drop to about 18 psi, but went back up to 30 in a few hours.

But now I have a bigger problem... while scrubbing the pool, I (or my robotic cleaner) created big tear in the liner and I am losing water at a very fast rate. I guess I need a new liner now :(

Will keep you all posted.

Ciao

So I see that the water level has dropped significantly... so where is all that water going? Shouldn't there be some concrete lining underneath the liner? Is the water seeping through it and into the ground? Or do pools don't have any concrete and the liner is laid straight on top of dirt?

Depends on how your pool was constructed. Most above ground pools simply have a frame around them and lay directly on the ground or base material that was used underneath. The in-ground vinyl's might be supported by concrete, wood, steel, or some other composite type of product. If yours is directly on the ground, water could just be leaking into the ground and not really showing-up along the sides.

Happy to tell you all that I could patch the rip in my pool using Amazon.com : Hydro Tools 8815 4-Ounce Vinyl Pool Linear Repair Kit : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden and the water is all balanced and clean and I took the first dip of the season yesterday :)

The pressure on the pump has also dropped gradually from 30 down to 20 and finally to 15 psi. I think you guys were spot-on.... it was all the algae/organic matter that was the source of all my problems and shocking took care of it.

Thank you all for your help. Enjoy your summer everyone! I am sure I will have more questions soon and will write again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.