Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi All,

I'm having my first air leak issue. I noticed it because my Jandy pump hasn't primed the past two mornings. Once I get it to prime, it runs all day...but then the next morning when it tries to start back up again (with my automation) it starts but doesn't prime.

I've found the leak, as I heard air seeping out between the see through part of the lid and the locking part of it. When I cover the seam that's between the two parts with my hands and press down, the pump gets its prime after a few seconds.

When I removed the lid this morning I noticed that the o-ring was loose. I checked the o-ring and it I think it looks good now...but I still heard air seeping through. I noticed that there's definitely no lube where the o-ring was. Could that be causing the issue? If yes, is there a certain brand of lube that everyone recommends for this?

I noticed that one side of the o-ring has a raised lip, while the opposite side has a inverted ridge. Does it matter which side faces down towards the water?

I noticed that the see through part of the lid popped out of the locking part of the lid the other day so I snapped it back it. It shouldn't need a certain alignment, right? (just as long as it's popped all the way back in it should be fine, right?)

Thanks!

It can be the cause. The gasket needs to be lightly lubed with a silicone based grease. Just enough to allow the gasket to move a bit to conform to the surfaces. There are specific brands that are for pool equipment but if you head to a hardware store or big box store and get some silicone plumbers grease your good.

Here are some examples: Google

Below is the stuff I picked up at Menards. Works great. Apparently they don't carry that brand any longer but here is the equivalent: https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/faucet-repair/faucet-stems-cartridges-accessories/danco-1-2-oz-silicone-grease/p-1444428647855-c-8542.htm?tid=-6112393535290427781

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease smaller.jpg
    Silicone Faucet Grease smaller.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 44
I put the grease along the lip and that didn't fix the problem. I started out very lightly, and tried using more and more of it after each trial failed, and it still didn't work.

So, I went ahead and bought a new lid assembly. Before trying out the new lid, I was looking over the instructions it came with and noticed that there is no mention of using grease.

Here's a link to the instructions: http://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0281300.pdf
The model number I have is R0448800. As you can see in the instructions, I have a Lid Seal rather than a Lid O-ring.

Does anyone know if I should still be putting grease on the Lid Seal? Or is that only necessary for an o-ring?

Thanks!

That lid seal looks a lot like the seal my Hayward uses. I've always greased it. The grease just allows the seal to move a bit to better conform to the surfaces. I can't see any drawback to lightly coating it.
You can always try it dry and if you have any problem lube it.

Anyone with a different opinion ??

I reached out to Zodiac and they said that it's fine to use a little grease. I haven't been having the issues with the pump not priming for the past week...not sure what fixed it, but not complaining either. Maybe it was the new cover...fingers crossed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.