Algaecides, Clarifiers, and Tablets

May 17, 2016
Brandon, MS
After reading some of the threads and reviewing pool school, I now do not trust anything the pool store told me, which is probably a good thing. :D:D

The pool store has told me proper maintenance needs Cal Hypo weekly, along with daily tablets, weekly algaecide, and weekly clarifier. If I maintain FC using bleach by adding daily, am I understanding correctly that I do not need tablets and algaecide?

What about clarifier?

Thanks! The more I learn the less I know...

I use nothing except for bleach (liquid chlorine) and muriatic acid 95% percent of the time.

CalHypo - raises calcium; only way to eliminate too much calcium is water replacement
Tablets - Trichlor & Dichlor; both raise CYA; only way to eliminate too much CYA is water replacement
Algaecide - Polyquat 60 is used during pool closing in cold climates but seldom recommended otherwise. Some (most) algaecides contain copper, which can lead to staining and turning hair green. Only way to eliminate copper is water replacement
Clarifiers - very seldom if ever recommended as they simply aren't needed in a properly maintained pool with accurate testing and timely dosing.
Bleach (liquid chlorine) - does raise salt levels, but not normally to levels noticeable by us.

The debate is on-going whether the Pool store will tell you these things to raise profits or simply because that's what they have always done. Either way, it is bad logic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.