Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecides, Clarifiers, and Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecides, Clarifiers, and Tablets

After reading some of the threads and reviewing pool school, I now do not trust anything the pool store told me, which is probably a good thing.

The pool store has told me proper maintenance needs Cal Hypo weekly, along with daily tablets, weekly algaecide, and weekly clarifier. If I maintain FC using bleach by adding daily, am I understanding correctly that I do not need tablets and algaecide?

What about clarifier?

Thanks! The more I learn the less I know...
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Algaecides, Clarifiers, and Tablets

You've got it. Check out this article Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I use nothing except for bleach (liquid chlorine) and muriatic acid 95% percent of the time.

CalHypo - raises calcium; only way to eliminate too much calcium is water replacement
    Tablets - Trichlor & Dichlor; both raise CYA; only way to eliminate too much CYA is water replacement
    Algaecide - Polyquat 60 is used during pool closing in cold climates but seldom recommended otherwise. Some (most) algaecides contain copper, which can lead to staining and turning hair green. Only way to eliminate copper is water replacement
    Clarifiers - very seldom if ever recommended as they simply aren't needed in a properly maintained pool with accurate testing and timely dosing.
    Bleach (liquid chlorine) - does raise salt levels, but not normally to levels noticeable by us.

The debate is on-going whether the Pool store will tell you these things to raise profits or simply because that's what they have always done. Either way, it is bad logic.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I saw the title and the first thing that came to mind was "Oh my!"
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Great! Saves me some money!

Uh oh though. I just bought 100 lbs of Cal Hypo last week...can I use this up before switching to bleach or is the calcium increase too big of a problem?
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just follow the road to the pool store, wait!!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by southernpool1 View Post
    Great! Saves me some money!

Uh oh though. I just bought 100 lbs of Cal Hypo last week...can I use this up before switching to bleach or is the calcium increase too big of a problem?
    What is your current CH? Use the calculator at the bottom to determine what adding x of y will do to your water http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

You have a vinyl liner, so CH levels are not really a factor for you. It does affect the CSI (see it in poolmath) but that can be managed, although 100# is a lot. I am guessing your pool volume is similar to mine, @ 48% Calhypo that would raise CH almost 200 ppm. Not terrible, but not ideal.

Use PoolMath, effect of adding chemicals, to see the effects. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

9. Back To Top    #9

73% Cal Hypo...will check CH when I get home.
    Greg - Mississippi

10. Back To Top    #10

That's about an additional 300 ppm then neglecting splash out and rain drains. CH will not evaporate off though.

11. Back To Top    #11

150 ch
    Greg - Mississippi

12. Back To Top    #12

450 is a tad on the high side and will make it a lot more important for you to watch your PH to avoid scaling. I wouldn't take CH above 300, 350 max.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by southernpool1 View Post
    The pool store has told me proper maintenance needs Cal Hypo weekly, along with daily tablets, weekly algaecide, and weekly clarifier.
    Well, I think you mis-understood them. All these things are required for the proper maintenance of the owners cash flow and boat payment. It has nothing to do with your pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Well, I think you mis-understood them. All these things are required for the proper maintenance of the owners cash flow and boat payment. It has nothing to do with your pool.
    Tim, I think you're right!
    Greg - Mississippi