Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HTH Salt Cell Chemical and Walmart

1. Back To Top    #1

East Northport, NY

HTH Salt Cell Chemical and Walmart

Hi. Was there this morning and they had Morton Pool Salt for 5.82 for a 40lb bag which is cheap right? I was there to buy stabilizer and I noticed an hth salt cell chemical designed to prolong the life of a salt cell. I know the feelings of this community on using chemicals other than the standard bleach, etc but I was wondering what that stuff is and has anyone tried it?

IG Vinyl -30,000 (20x40)
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter/Hayward rebuilt 1 HP Pump
    AutoPilot DIG-220 RC52 SWCG
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Aquabot Bravo

2. Back To Top    #2
    Edmond OK

Re: HTH Salt Cell Chemical and Walmart

I tried it once. I can't recall noticing that it did anything. Probably snakeoil.
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

Re: HTH Salt Cell Chemical and Walmart

A common misconception is that TFP has "approved" chemicals. That is just not true. TFP is about knowing what you are adding to your pool and what it will do to your pool. Bleach, baking soda, washing soda, borax, muriatic acid, they all do specific things to your pool and are easy to account for. So we are extremely weary of any product that makes claims but then doesn't include a list of ingredients to back those claims up.

Anyway, here is the MSDS for it: I'm not a chemist so I can't say whether any of this stuff will be the least bit beneficial.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits