Silver Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
Brook Park MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are in the process of opening pool for the season we added water to bring water level proper operating level ( did partial drain for over winter have above grd pool) initial readings on May 13 where
PH - 8.2
CL - 0
CH - 400
TA 180
CYA - ? didn't measure so i went on the assumption it was 15 - 20 as a starting point to add chemicals and bring up to 30 didn't want to add to much

so as i was getting CYA measured out I told my hubby what chemicals to add - we where slamming the pool it was very green should of taken pictures.

pool math said to add 296 oz of 12.5% bleach and i added 39 oz of CYA well not sure what happened-if i said muriatic acid by mistake or what so he added 296 oz of muriatic acid not Bleach :( and as we kept going threw the slam process muriatic acid was added:oops: until 2 days ago when i figured out what was going on.

today my numbers are:
PH - 6.8 Which has been steady for 4 days
FC - 20 CC - 1.5
CH 225
TA - 80
CYA - 30

Question is should i just aerate to raise ph or should i add borate ( 20 mule team borax)

You need to get PH above 7.0 ASAP! PH below 7.2 will corrode your heater and possibly other stuff. It is likely much lower as that is as low as the test reads. Enter target of 7.6 in Poolmath, add with pump running, brush and test again in 15 minutes, repeat until PH is above 7.0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.