First Vacuum - Did I Screw Up My Pump?

FattyLumpkin

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Hey all, first time poster.

I set my system up to do a first-of-the-year vacuum of all the stuff in the bottom of my pool. I set things up to vacuum straight to waste. Here's my question/issue: I removed the insert filter on the pump itself as I figured that little basket would fill up in about 0.2 seconds if I left it in there... Was removing it then operating the vacuum a mistake, or is this SOP for large-scale vacuum? I ask because the pump lost suction and I think was clogged after about 10 seconds of my beginning to vacuum... I'm worried I seriously messed things up. Any input appreciated.... thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: I understand what you were trying to do and why you did it. Unfortunately that pump's strainer basket was the pump's last line of defense against debris, frogs, or anything lese lurking in the depths of your pool. Best to leave it in. While it may eventually clog-up with twigs and stuff, it's better than compromising the pump itself.

Is your pump clear and operating okay now? Not sure about your equipment since it's not loaded in your signature, but with power off, you should be able to reach into the pump's impeller area to see if a lot of junk got wrapped-up or jammed in there.

Thank you, Texas. I was able to get it going again, but it took quite a while to "prime" and get moving -- I think there was probably debris lodged in there (a frog included) for a time, but all seems to be operating OK now. My filter's reading ~15 PSI, which is actually lower than the original PSI (~18) when the pool was first opened this year. So I think I've avoided any serious issues at this point. I appreciate your guidance!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Kim!

What he said ^^^

Reduced pressure indicates reduced flow from the pump, and a clogged impeller would do it.

Picture an electric fan. Now string some masking tape between the blades. It spins just as fast as ever, but it doesn;t move nearly as much air. Same thing with the pool pump.

OK, thanks... let's say the pressure doesn't return to the baseline ~18 PSI... I'm assuming 3 PSI would equate to a fairly significant loss in efficiency relative to the electricity (perhaps not equal to 3/18, or ~17%, but some)? Not to mention additional wear on the pump while it spins with this debris on it... is this something I would reach out to someone to correct (i.e., my pool installer), or is it a DIY-serviceable job?

Thanks again, all.

Can you update your signature with your pump, pool, and equipment type? You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

That info (and maybe a picture) will help us tell if you can open-up your pump and get to the area required to inspect it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.