Newbie: "over my head"

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
Hi everybody.

Maybe I should've "made over-my-head" my screen-name... Next month I take possession of a 1972 contemporary home with a neglected indoor pool. During the home inspection process I hired a dedicated pool inspector and began the discussion by asking him if the pool is even viable, or if it would be better to remove it. His conclusion was that while it needs extensive work, it's worth saving. I hope he was right.

y3m_QEv_19ftb2BxjAZr0L1Hd8cGbGmD6xnZR9GJOqSpgfiaedM_R697lL-OUkpA5eDp_OlGBEM57liIowhtZP8fDhEN7_q2pUthrKC7p4hG192CdPxdWKM447uMuzrOyqXx7XyCxkRUqeN0XMYjdGePJu5D2aV_kJPLao73hO9uOA
y3mx3arJoyUfAxSvHGyBPGwY8zRNAnWXEZHcdziOv3w52fuard3NRqXO6bjocMa_7QtOqmQ4AzF66RvAeCSNcaYW--ASuy-GtcfDkhanJ4jwXHz8fWIhIdjMrkzXGkYMg0CAm2I7L_-HMzO9u_jqr4hhqpcT8Jlutd6EkzEUW-heWg

I don't know the capacity and haven't measured the edges yet. My W.A.G. of the measurements calculates to about 8-9,000 gallons. It has a sand filter, gas heater and pump with a slow but steady drip. The gunite surface (I assume) has been patched several times and currently has a bulge/blister in the shallow end. The light is inop, the ladder has loose anchors and the edge tile is as ugly as the pictures suggest.

Aside from the reconstruction and aesthetic improvements, I'm also very interested in a saltwater conversion. I've done some reading and have noticed that not everyone is a fan of saltwater, but it seems to me that saltwater would be less likely to make the rest of the home smell like chlorine. Is that a safe assumption?

I'm looking forward to tips and suggestions. thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

That is an AWESOME pool! I need one of those!

Using 30ppm of CYA in your pool and maintaining the proper level of chlorine is what will make your pool/house not smell lkke chlorine. Keep chlorine at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart and you will be amazed.

More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

What is TWP? A country? Your pool is indoors so climate isn't much of a consideration but it might be handy to have a location that people recognize just in case climate is a factor in our advice. Click SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left to update the location showing over there <-----.

Re: Newbie: &quot;over my head&quot;

All a SWG does is convert salt to chlorine.

It was my understanding that the conversion results in a "purer form"... not so?

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

That is an AWESOME pool! I need one of those!

Using 30ppm of CYA in your pool and maintaining the proper level of chlorine is what will make your pool/house not smell lkke chlorine. Keep chlorine at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart and you will be amazed.

More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

What is TWP? A country? Your pool is indoors so climate isn't much of a consideration but it might be handy to have a location that people recognize just in case climate is a factor in our advice. Click SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left to update the location showing over there <-----.

Thanks! Sorry about the location confusion. Being currently "between homes", my mailing address is a marina in Harrison Township, Mi. I've edited that. As far as climate, the interior climate was a major concern when I first considered the home. I've heard about incorrect indoor pool installations that result in excess moisture destroying houses. This room has a commercial rooftop HVAC unit to control the climate, but it appears to be manual. We couldn't locate a humidistat.

Welcome to TFP Rollercoastr :wave:

I'd love to have that attached to my house !! Installing a SWCG would be nice as you wouldn't have to be lugging around bleach all the time.
I think doing a little remodeling to it would make it a jewel.

Thanks Kiss.

I guess I need to concentrate on the resurfacing project. I haven't even done a search on that yet. Something that really bothers me about this pool is the lack of steps. The ladder is the only way in and out. If adding steps during the resurfacing is practical or affordable, what are my other options? Are there such things as stainless steps that could be added in the shallow end?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.