Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie: "over my head"

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie: "over my head"

Hi everybody.

Maybe I should've "made over-my-head" my screen-name... Next month I take possession of a 1972 contemporary home with a neglected indoor pool. During the home inspection process I hired a dedicated pool inspector and began the discussion by asking him if the pool is even viable, or if it would be better to remove it. His conclusion was that while it needs extensive work, it's worth saving. I hope he was right.

I don't know the capacity and haven't measured the edges yet. My W.A.G. of the measurements calculates to about 8-9,000 gallons. It has a sand filter, gas heater and pump with a slow but steady drip. The gunite surface (I assume) has been patched several times and currently has a bulge/blister in the shallow end. The light is inop, the ladder has loose anchors and the edge tile is as ugly as the pictures suggest.

Aside from the reconstruction and aesthetic improvements, I'm also very interested in a saltwater conversion. I've done some reading and have noticed that not everyone is a fan of saltwater, but it seems to me that saltwater would be less likely to make the rest of the home smell like chlorine. Is that a safe assumption?

I'm looking forward to tips and suggestions. thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie: "over my head"

Welcome. You won't notice any difference in a PROPERLY MAINTAINED pool with either a SWG or "chlorine" as you put it. All a SWG does is convert salt to chlorine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

That is an AWESOME pool! I need one of those!

Using 30ppm of CYA in your pool and maintaining the proper level of chlorine is what will make your pool/house not smell lkke chlorine. Keep chlorine at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart and you will be amazed.

More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

What is TWP? A country? Your pool is indoors so climate isn't much of a consideration but it might be handy to have a location that people recognize just in case climate is a factor in our advice. Click SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left to update the location showing over there <-----.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Newbie: &quot;over my head&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    All a SWG does is convert salt to chlorine.
    It was my understanding that the conversion results in a "purer form"... not so?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

That is an AWESOME pool! I need one of those!

Using 30ppm of CYA in your pool and maintaining the proper level of chlorine is what will make your pool/house not smell lkke chlorine. Keep chlorine at target for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart and you will be amazed.

More here on adding CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

What is TWP? A country? Your pool is indoors so climate isn't much of a consideration but it might be handy to have a location that people recognize just in case climate is a factor in our advice. Click SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left to update the location showing over there <-----.
    Thanks! Sorry about the location confusion. Being currently "between homes", my mailing address is a marina in Harrison Township, Mi. I've edited that. As far as climate, the interior climate was a major concern when I first considered the home. I've heard about incorrect indoor pool installations that result in excess moisture destroying houses. This room has a commercial rooftop HVAC unit to control the climate, but it appears to be manual. We couldn't locate a humidistat.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP Rollercoastr

I'd love to have that attached to my house !! Installing a SWCG would be nice as you wouldn't have to be lugging around bleach all the time.
    I think doing a little remodeling to it would make it a jewel.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Kiss.

I guess I need to concentrate on the resurfacing project. I haven't even done a search on that yet. Something that really bothers me about this pool is the lack of steps. The ladder is the only way in and out. If adding steps during the resurfacing is practical or affordable, what are my other options? Are there such things as stainless steps that could be added in the shallow end?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

that would do it!