EasyTouch Solar Question - Start & Run Temperature

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
I have read the instructions several times and I just don't get the practical application of the START and RUN values.

Also, validating that the Set Temp would be the temperature that I want to pool to be at but then the Max temp is when it should shut off.

??

The start differential is the amount of heat difference between solar and water to turn on solar.
If water is 78 and solar is 80 or less then solar will not turn on
If water is 78 and solar is 81 or more then solar will turn on

Not sure what RUN is.

The start temp is the differential at which the solar will activate or cycle on. (Example posted above)
The run, or "run until" is the differential at witch the solar will de-activate or cycle off.

Note: It is best to leave those settings in their default(s).

Just my advice.

The Max temp is like a governor. It is a temp at which you never want (the pool water) to go higher than. IOW, if someone (other than you) wants to heat the pool to 90 and you have max temp-ed it to 85, It wont go to 90, or 86 for that matter...

Hmm, ok, thanks, let me see if I understand this.

Start is set to 3.
Run is set to 4.
Set Temp is 84.
Max is 88.
Pool temp is 78

The EasyTouch will START solar heating once the thermometer at the solar panels is 81 degrees (78 + 3).
The EasyTouch will STOP solar heating once the thermometer at the solar panels is 80 degrees (84 - 4).
The EasyTouch will STOP solar heating once the pool temperature is 88 degrees.

This is water temps. Temp at the panel is an air temp or sunlight temp sensor. This tells the system either:

Yes, the sun is out, solar will warm the water if sent to the panels.

or

No, too much cloud cover, shade, or it is night time, keep the water off the roof, there will be no heat gain. That sensor has no influence over the differential.

This is taken from the documentation i have, so it may be a bit technical. Like i stated above, you'll probably be good if you leave it at the default setting(s).

Start: Sets the temperature diff to start heating from 3 to 9 deg. If set to 3 deg, this ensures that the temp has to deviate by 3 deg at least to the specifyed set point temp before it switches on. once on, it will start converging as it is heating. This is so it will not continually cycle.

Run: Sets the temp diff to stop heating from 2 to 5 deg. This setting sets how close to the target set point temp to switch the solar off.

See, if the (solar) system was set to go on and off with no differential, by the time the set point heated water or cold non heated water made it back to the sensor (at the equipment) to turn on/off the solar, the pool could gain/lose more heat, causing the final hot/cold temp of the pool water to be in excessively hi or low, of your set point.

The bigger the pool, the more you would need this differential option.

Does that make sense?

Hmm, ok, thanks, let me see if I understand this.

Start is set to 3.
Run is set to 4.
Set Temp is 84.
Max is 88.
Pool temp is 78

The EasyTouch will START solar heating once the thermometer at the solar panels is 81 degrees (78 + 3).
The EasyTouch will STOP solar heating once the thermometer at the solar panels is 80 degrees (84 - 4).
The EasyTouch will STOP solar heating once the pool temperature is 88 degrees.

I understand everything about this example except Max Temperature. I know where to set the start and run temps and I know that I set the pool temp in the Heat function. But I can't find anything about where to set a Max temperature or Set Point Temp. I just assumed that the Pool temp set in the Heat Menu is both the Set Point and the Max. Is that assumption incorrect?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.