Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first pool

1. Back To Top    #1

My first pool

Hello All!

I moved from Western WA to AZ a few years ago and recently bought a house with a small pool. (Jokingly referred to around here as a "Spool"). It's about the size of nice above ground, but I don't know exactly how to figure out how much water it holds. It's an octagon shaped liner pool with a Nautilus FNS DE filter. Not sure of the filter size either. I can get that detail once the sun comes back up and I can see the equipment... I hope. I had a spa in WA for over 10 years, but this is a whole different animal. And I am having a nightmare of a time.

I have questions a-plenty. Everything from hi pressure & low suction to how I can diplomatically deal with a repair tech who insists that I am not capable of caring for a pool myself. I know there's a few things I can't do (taking the pump apart or disassembling the whole rack of plates inside the filter, for example). But I'm not "mechanically challenged" so there's no reason I can't do daily or weekly maintenance, right?

So I hit the internet - and I landed here. Thank you for creating a place where I might find some of the answers I seek!

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how to tell my story. Once I do, I'll be posting in "green pools"

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: My first pool

Welcome to TFP

You can do almost everything from reading here, we have had people build brand new pools from the info on the site here are a couple things that may help.. check out some of the links in my sig and start a new thread here Just Getting Started

DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!
    Hi pressure and low suction point to a clogged filter. Opening a DE filter and cleaning the grids is really not all that hard. If you've ever assembled anything from IKEA successfully, the filter is well within your ability.

And if that doesn't fix things, then you look at a bad gauge and a clogged pump impeller. The gauge isn't much harder than changing a light bulb. The impeller is about on par with the filter disassembly.

You can probably handle this stuff.

If you get your own proper test kit, and you can count and know basic arithmetic, in about two weeks of testing and dosing, you'll probably have a better grasp of pool chemistry than most pool store clerks. I had to go buy a vacuum and a hose and a better brush and a few other odds and ends after I fired the pool service. By the third month without paying him, I was in the black and I've just continued to save money ever since.

Seriously, follow our methods and your water will end up clearer and sparklier than you thought possible. It won't smell like a locker room or irritate skin or eyes and it will only take a few minutes a day to keep it that way.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the welcome! I'm doing my research.

The equipment and above ground plumbing needed some help when I bought the house. The sad thing is that the repair tech has the attitude that the only way I will have a healthy pool is to hire a "pool guy". He then scoffed at the idea that I could manage to clean the pool itself, much less the filter. He actually told me that I "just needed to keep throwing money at it and eventually it would be fine". He is supposed to be the best in town, but his misogynistic attitude is starting to get on my nerves. You think by now I'd be immune to it, after all I was playing with cars while the other girls were playing with dolls and while they were learning how to put on makeup I was learning how to ride motorcycles...

This forum is going to be invaluable to me! And now I"m off to do some more reading.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can maintain your own spool and save money and do a better job. Even if there are a few things you can't do punt that guy and find someone better.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi, I can't give you advice on some of your issues, but one thing I can guarantee you is that if you want to simplify taking care of the chemical aspect of your pool, you need to buy TFP test kit. It has changed everything for me in terms of maintenance and cost of chemicals. My water is really well balanced and I don't have to make a weekly trip to the pool store and have any doubts about what I need. I also found that people were super helpful getting me started and giving me confidence. Good luck!!!
    26,000 gallon pool. Gunite, white plaster. Pentair Tangelus 24" sand filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3050 pump, and RayPac digital Natural gas heater, 336 BTU.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP...you are in the right place.

Time to give "the best in town" the boot and show them what it means to do it #LikeAGirl:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs

I have all the confidence in the world that you, or any other woman, can do this.
    29,000 gallon vinyl liner custom designed lagoon style in-ground pool (self-built 2015-2016), Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward HP21404T Heat Pump (140K BTU), Hayward Pro Grid DE DE6020 Filter with Fiber Clear, Hayward Tiger Shark, 2 Hayward Color-Logic LED lights, Stenner 45MPHP10
    370 gallon Jacuzzi J-345 spa with ClearRay UV

9. Back To Top    #9

HI! Oh happy day! Another can do girl! AND from one of my favorite place in the world! We have visited there many times for the Jet ski races. LOVE the area and people!

You can do anything with your pool. We have videos and pictures and people willing to walk you through it all!

we got ya!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter