Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi from Tasmania

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi from Tasmania

Hi!

New to the forum from Hobart, Tasmania.
    I've been reading a bit on here for the last week, as I've just bought a new home with an outdoor swim-spa.

I love the way there seems to be regular contributors on here who have a good chemical knowledge to back up what they are saying, rather than just the usual "I did this and it worked so it must be right" that you find on a lot of forums.

You'll probably see a few questions popping up from me as I'm new to pools, but I have been doing my research

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Hi from Tasmania

Welcome to TFP

Those type pool/spa's are every popular down there, we just helped another person there change over
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Tassie, same reasons I joined and you said it well! Welcome to TFP
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

4. Back To Top    #4

You are going to love it here at TFP.............our advice is science based as well as daily tested in THOUSANDS of pools each day.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome, but this is the wrong time of year for the forum to be flooded with Australians, we typically see that around November
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Welcome, but this is the wrong time of year for the forum to be flooded with Australians...
    LOL. It's a house I've just purchased, hence the timing. The previous owners didn't want to get a crane in to remove their 2 1/2 y.o. spa so they sold the house with it.
    And it's a spa, sitting on 36C currently (or 97 for most of you) - nice even when it's cold out
    1,800g AG Endless Swim Spa, Cartridge Filter, Davey Pumps, Davey Ecosalt MES13AMP SWG
    6kW electric heater. Installed 2013, I became owner May 2016

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, does sound nice, at least when it is cold outside. Swim Spa's are kind of a strange case, and should probably be treated more like small swimming pools than a typical hot tub as the bather to water ratio is more like a small swimming pool than the typical 350 gallon hot tub. Hopefully that made sense, it has been a long day here and the words sound a bit circular, but it is the best I can come up with at the moment.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, makes perfect sense. After a bit of reading, I was thinking of running the levels pretty much like a pool, but with the alkalinity maybe a bit lower due to the increased aeration.

The FC was somewhere over 120 ppm when we moved in (estimating based on what I've done to reduce it) - partly because the heater element failed before we bought the place, resulting in the filter pump and SWG running continuously for who knows how many days, attempting to bring the temp up. With the cheap DPD kit and strips I had at first I didn't realize how high it was - I only knew that it was over 20, but wasn't coming down like it should!

After some drastic measures to lower it, and buying a decent test kit I've started to get my levels under control. Now we can get in ourselves rather than using it to bleach the linen!

I had to replace the shaft seals on two of the pumps. I don't know if this was just the result of age, or if the high FC contributed to their failure.

Currently it's at:
    FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 0 (I'll add some, and up the FC accordingly)
    pH 7.8
    TA 150
    CH 110
    1,800g AG Endless Swim Spa, Cartridge Filter, Davey Pumps, Davey Ecosalt MES13AMP SWG
    6kW electric heater. Installed 2013, I became owner May 2016

11. Back To Top    #11

My suggestion is don't chase a TA number, instead chase pH stability after all as long as you are not concerned with calcium scale and watching your CSI, it does not really matter what the TA number is, what you should care about is your pH stability.