Another Newb Opening A Pool

Jon in Albany

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2015
Latham, NY
Pool/patio/yard construction was most of last year so this is really the first full season. Last year, I followed the plan and had a sparkling pool. My wife was impressed. I'll take that as a win.

Last week, the person that build the pool came by to open it. Everything was working, the water was a bit murky and he seemed to think it would have turned in another week or so. We put in a lot of chlorine and I brushed and vacuumed and brushed some more. The water cleared nicely but it was still just a little cloudy. I broke out the handy dandy test kit and FC was 12 and I didn't notice any CC. From other threads I had read through, it sounded like I need to SLAM. Before I get into it, here are the original numbers:

FC-12
CC-0
TC-12
CH-100
TA-40
CYA-40
PH-6.8

I brought the ph up to 7.2 with some Borax I had and the FC to 16. This was mid afternoon.

at 8:00, the FC was 14 so I added chlorine and somehow overshot 16 and went right to 20. Not sure how I pulled that off.

Next morning at 7:45, the FC was 17 and the water had that sparkle I had gotten used to last year.
Cloudy day, 8:00 PM FC was 16
Following morning, FC was still 16.

New day:
Now, completely proud of myself, I set out to bump up the TA a little and raise the PH closer to 7.5.

I added 100 oz of baking soda and 16 oz of Soda Ash. A little while later, I added 50 more oz of baking soda.

Did a full set of water testing tonight:
FC-5.5
CC-0
TC-5.5
CH-100
TA-40
CYA-40
PH-7.5

Now, pool math says by the time I was done with everything, my TA should have gone up at least 30 instead of staying flat. What did I do wrong?

Also, I smell it, but my wife doesn't. There is definitely a slight odor to the pool water that kind of comes and goes. It was definitely stronger when the cover came off. I had thought it was the pool water having 3 times the amount of chlorine than usual but I can still smell it sometimes. I'd describe the smell as new plastic gassing off if that makes any sense. The few hits I got searching the forum recommend waiting it out. That still a good plan?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Start.jpg

middle.jpg

TFP Clear.jpg

you pool is looking good and you are getting there.. I take it you stopped the SLAM as you passed the OCLT and are letting the FC drift down..

TA: could you test again this morning, make sure to wipe the tip of the bottle before each drop, sometimes it gets static on it and it gives wrong reading..

The smell could be slight raised CC, you can test it using the 25ml sample..

I hope this helps :)

Yes, I stopped the SLAM. I had the kids take a whiff of the water this morning. One said there was a chemical scent that she noticed only because I asked her to sniff for it and the other didn't smell anything.

I think the TFP system has gotten me hyper sensitive to all things pool related. [emoji3]

I use a damp paper towel for the TA test. Should I switch to cloth? School bus, work and a softball game today. I'll test the TA again later tonight.

Had a minute so I ran a quick TA test and I know exactly what I did wrong. I ran it with 10 ml of water instead of 25 ml. TA is 80, last night's less accurate test should have beenTA=100.

Currently FC=4, CC=0 and the water is clear. I'll add the daily dose of chlorine later.

Still a faint odor. I'm hoping it goes away soon. If anyone has any ideas for something to do about the odor, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Try the 25 ml sample for your FC and CC tonight, I bet your CC is .2 and you are smelling it, that just means your water is using the chlorine and yes, you're probably sensitive to it now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.