Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: just found this site...Phew!!

1. Back To Top    #1

just found this site...Phew!!

reading and rereading all the newbie stuff...had the pool opened and treated on saturday and saw algae on the wall sides by monday...i had ordereda digital tester through him and he showed me how to use it..but told me i did not need to use the cya tablets or test for it...????? my cya level is ranging between 160 and 200 so tomorrow i start draining...my goal next year is to save the 400 for opening and treatment, especially since it obviously did not work...thank you all! it is a little overwhelming but i love the pool..
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

20000 gal fiberglass ig pool ..tf-100 on well water..sta-rite sys 3 and intellipro variable speed pump, sand filter, kreepy krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: just found this site...Phew!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Feel free to ask any questions that may pop up, we are happy to help!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome.

There's no harm in having the PB open the pool if you don't want to do the work. We have them open and close for no reason other than we just don't feel like doing the work and we think it is worth the money. Just tell them not to treat.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

Most of those digital testers are just not good and can be way off at times.. There are 2 test kits that will work great for testing in my sig below..

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

You can update your location over there <---- by clicking SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left. Be sure to click SAVE, lower right.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

ok...i found an older taylor k 1004 will that work or should i just buy one of the recommended two? and never mind...i found the answer! thanks!
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

20000 gal fiberglass ig pool ..tf-100 on well water..sta-rite sys 3 and intellipro variable speed pump, sand filter, kreepy krauly

7. Back To Top    #7

The K-1004 will test TA and pH, but will only test chlorine up to 5 ppm. You also want the FAS-DPD found HERE to test FC and CC at much more accurate and higher levels.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

thanks! i ordered the tf-100 and am now draining the pool what i can...but am curious..the pg added algaecide, stain and scale and sodium dichlor on saturday...would those effect my cya levels? and if so for a temporary of extended time..i read and reread and search and research...finally have started to write things down...
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

9. Back To Top    #9

The items your PG added won't effect CYA, but they could effect other issues. It's good you're removing some water then. The less of that junk the better. You'll soon find that with the accuracy of the TF-100, you won't add anything to your water unless YOU know it needs it. Much better feeling and nicer looking water.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

thank you!
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

11. Back To Top    #11

one day of partial draining, refill, partial draining, refill, etc etc...and i have the cya down to 100 whoo hoo! should i aim for 50 or 60?

my drain only works with the pump on ...shoulda borrowed a submersible.
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

12. Back To Top    #12

ha. Yes, definitely try to get it lower. 50-60 would be a big improvement.

13. Back To Top    #13

at least two things i have learned in the short time i have joined this forum...

1. cya (lol) never heard that mentioned from pg or store

2. that dust that the wind musta put in the pool is dead algae

anyway day 2 of partially draining pool and i still may get that submersible pump cya currently at 95...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

14. Back To Top    #14

have my cya down to 45 but my test kits have not come in yet and since mine only goes up to 10 is there any other way like with the cya dilution to tell what my chlorine level is?
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

15. Back To Top    #15

See if this helps:

Chlorine Dilution test questions

It is an older thread but should answer your question. See if this helps.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

thanks!
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

17. Back To Top    #17

thanks!
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! What a week!! Congratulations! Keep up the great work and great questions!
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

just want to say "thanks!" ..after three weeks i am still fighting pollen and the weather has not been very agreeable for swimming or keeping the pool clean and the darn cotton keeps on flying...but my pool water color has never looked better and no algae growing on the walls! just cleaning the filter sock daily!
    Norma V from Fallon,NV

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by ncutt View Post
    just want to say "thanks!" ..after three weeks i am still fighting pollen and the weather has not been very agreeable for swimming or keeping the pool clean and the darn cotton keeps on flying...but my pool water color has never looked better and no algae growing on the walls! just cleaning the filter sock daily!

That is awesome to hear! THANKS!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit