Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool circulation issues

1. Back To Top    #1

scotch plains/nj

Pool circulation issues

Hi all. I have a 20x40 rectangular pool with two skimmers and two return jets all on the same side of the pool. It goes skimmer-jet-jet-skimmer. It's obviously not a great design but not much I could do about it because I didn't build the pool. It was already there. Anyway, because there are no returns opposite the skimmers I get very poor pool circulation. Debris seems to end up in the corners opposite the skimmers. Is there an optimal direction to face the return jets to alleviate this problem? Or is there some other way that I could increase circulation in my pool short of tearing it up and starting over and designing it properly. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Pool circulation issues

I would try different options. Sometimes having the returns pointed at each other may actually help. Each pool is very different so experiment a little.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pool circulation issues

Generally, it is best to try to create a circular rotation in the pool, either counterclockwise or clockwise by pointing the returns in the same direction. One usually works better than the other depending on wind or how close the return is to the skimmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach