Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Half drain & refill in progress looking for advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Half drain & refill in progress looking for advice

I have yet to get my algae under control after reopen this spring, seems to be a continuation of final month of the fall before closing. Purchased TF100 test kit, numbers were as follows:
    FC 14
    CC 1.5
    CH 250
    TA 70
    CYA 90+

Those were two days after shocking.......again.
    In process of doing a half refill per other advice i've read to drop my CYA which sounds like the problem of my algae. By the way previously super shocked the pool several times with no results. Once i'm refilled whats my best bet to remedy the algae growth? Shock? Bleach? and how do I prevent my CYA numbers from climbing again?
    33' buried above ground, 25k gallons, Hayward swimpro XL 1.5hp, swimpro missile element filter, nature 2, H250 heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Half drain & refill in progress looking for advice

I just went through this...1/3 drain & refill to reduce CYA, which was high due to massive use of trichor tabs and bags of shock, thinking that was the way to beat my algae. Then I found this Forum.
    My CYA was at 90, which meant I needed a shock FC of 30+, and those tabs and shock weren't helping the situation; I was probably not getting enough to kill the algae because of a CYA of 90.
    Now, after two weeks, I have control of a sparkly pool thanks to the advice I received here. First, I ordered the test kit. Then, drained pool. Then began my SLAM with bleach....only bleach. Jugs and jugs of it. I bought 10 a day for 4 or 5 days straight (10 item limit in Target express lane).
    I think, to prevent CYA from raising again, don't use the trichlor or dichlor tabs & bags. I think. Bleach doesn't add CYA like those things. I still have boxes and tubs of those things...not sure what to do with them now that I'm using only bleach (probably 2/3 jug each morning).
    Others will chime in with other help. But, as this is still fresh in my mind, thought I'd chirp in now.
    55'x20'x10' 50k gallon free-form gunite with waterfall return, Hayward S310S 30" sand filter, Pentair Superflo VS 1.5 hp pump; TF-100 with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in the middle of this process right now too. Here are a few links to get you started:
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Pool School - PoolMath

The quick answer to both your questions is bleach. Following the SLAM procedure using regular bleach (not scented or splashless) will both kill the algae and it won't add CYA. All solid forms of chlorine (i.e. powdered shock and tablets) add either CYA or CH in addition to chlorine. Bleach does not add these things.
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Great job on getting the TF-100 kit! NOW you are rocking!

Read up and do the SLAM. It does work. It does take time and chlorine. It does give you a clear pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Erik, you're spot on with your advice.

Those high CYA levels will getcha in trouble when you can't keep the FC high enough to avoid or kill the algae.

You can save the pucks for a time down the road when you actually may need to raise your CYA. As long as you're aware of *everything* a powder or puck adds to your water you'll be able to account for it. Just tuck them into a dry place and keep them.

Sammyskid- You have to understand that just pouring in a product called "Shock" isn't the cure. Algae are frisky little buggers and multiply fast if you don't *maintain* a level higher than it can survive over time. It also requires you to brush-brush-brush because algae can produce something mysterious called Biofilm that actually protects it from the killer chlorine. SO brushing disrupts that film and lets the chlorine get to it better. And it may take days, maybe a week or more to get it all dead and buried.

Read the links that 0603 suggested above and holler back with any new questions, 'k??

We're volunteers here cause we love our pools and want you to be able to love yours too!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice guys. Finished refilling today off to the store for some bleach. Ill keep you posted with updates and hopefully good news.
    33' buried above ground, 25k gallons, Hayward swimpro XL 1.5hp, swimpro missile element filter, nature 2, H250 heater