Variable speed vs 2 speed sound levels

bobtimms

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2012
Roswell GA
My son who builds pools had a 3hp Pentair VS pump dealer demo unit and replaced my failing generic 1 speed pump. The 3hp is overkill for my pool I know. All was well for a couple of days and then the keypad and leds stopped functioning. When powering on it restarts from the ~1500 rpm setting which was the last setting before the keypad failed so I have circulation. Couple of questions:

1. Can the keypad/electronics be fixed or replaced without replacing the whole drive and if not would it be worth it to replace the whole drive (~$600) or just replace the whole pump.

2. I'm sure a 2 speed pump replacement would be the most economical up front vs another VS but I REALLY like not hearing the sound. So my question here if I have to replace the pump is how the sound compares. Rating a VS sound level at 1 and a generic pump at 10 where would a 2 speed fall.

Thanks

I have a 1hp Pentair superflo 340042 and it is quite, on low I can barely hear it from 5 feet away but on high I can hear it from 20 feet away... how loud that is I have no idea..

low maybe a 2 and high probably a 5 on that scale...

I hope this helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.