Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What could have raised my Total Alkalinity?

1. Back To Top    #1

What could have raised my Total Alkalinity?

I have a 15k gallon in ground plaster SWG pool. My TA was 40 about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've added 16 pounds of Calcium Chloride to bring my CH up from 140 to 290. I've added 40 ounces (need to add more) CYA to bring it up from 35, shooting for 70, I'm at 45 now. My pH was at 7.6, but has climbed a little to 7.8 now (since it has been 3 weeks, which is normal). My question though is what could have brought my TA up from 40 to 60 now in 2 weeks? The only other thing I've added to my pool since then is Bioguard Backup 2 which has been very effective in killing the water bugs I was having a bit of a problem with. Could the Bioguard Backup I've been adding cause it to go up? The active ingredient is Alkyl dimethylbenzylammonium chloride.....could this have caused the TA rise? I'm not complaining because I actually WANTED to increase my TA a bit, but I'm just curious now what caused it so I'll know.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What could have raised my Total Alkalinity?

The first word in the ingredients is "Alkyl..." so I'm pretty sure that is it. TA=Total ALKALINITY, and you added some.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    The first word in the ingredients is "Alkyl..." so I'm pretty sure that is it. TA=Total ALKALINITY, and you added some.
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Alkyl actually refers to the alkane group that is attached to the molecule that is made up of a chain of carbon and hydrogen (hydrocarbon), not anything to do with alkalinity. I don't see anything else on the SDS to indicate alkalinity such as bicarbonate.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

OMG! THIS is why I'm not a chemist. It seemed so obvious to me....
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    OMG! THIS is why I'm not a chemist. It seemed so obvious to me....
    Haha me too!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Alkyl actually refers to the alkane group that is attached to the molecule that is made up of a chain of carbon and hydrogen (hydrocarbon), not anything to do with alkalinity. I don't see anything else on the SDS to indicate alkalinity such as bicarbonate.
    Any idea what may have raised it then?
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe I messed up on the first test a few weeks ago, now I'm second guessing myself (scratch head).
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

Anybody else have any ideas?
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

There could have been buffering agents in the Bioguard product but not likely in the quantities needed to increase the TA by that much in your size pool. Probably not from the calcium addition either, unless that product had additives.

I wouldn't be overly concerned as it's not a bad chemistry change. The resolution of the TA test is also +/-10 ppm. So it's possible the TA has been 50 the whole time and one test came out low, one came out high.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

What's the TA of fill water to make up for evaporation?

Oddly enough, I have a troubling TA rise that cannot be blamed on anything. To cope, I pour a beer in my mouth as I pour acid in the pool. While that doesn't help the issue, it makes me look forward to pH rise...
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

We need to make that a sticky.

CG, when you do the TA test do you wipe the tip to release static, hold the bottle vertically and let the drop fully form? Also, if the sample size was off a bit.

LOL at all the chemists in this thread!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    We need to make that a sticky.

CG, when you do the TA test do you wipe the tip to release static, hold the bottle vertically and let the drop fully form? Also, if the sample size was off a bit.

LOL at all the chemists in this thread!
    I didn't wipe the tip, I didn't know that was the proper way. Do I need to do that to each bottle everytime I do a different test? Everything else was how you described.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

13. Back To Top    #13

TA is the test that specifically has more issues with static electricity causing problems with drop size on R-0009. Wiping the tip after each drop reduces this problem. Shouldn't be necessary on other tests. See notes in this post, not present in other extended test kit instructions: Extended Test Kit Directions As always, try to hold all dropper bottles vertically when dispensing drops for consistency.