Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing prime unless pulling from spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Losing prime unless pulling from spa

When I started my pool for the season, I wasn't getting any flow to the pump unless I turned off the pull from the skimmer and pulled from the spa. I figured that maybe something was clogging the pipe from the skimmer, and once I started slamming the pool, whatever was there would die and get sicked into the pump basket. Once I start pulling in water from the spa, I can close off the spa drain and I start pulling from the skimmer. However, when the pool shuts off, and then starts again, with the spa suction turned off, I get nothing or just a trickle of water coming in. I can open up the spa suction, everything is fine, then turn off the spa suction once it is going, and it's fine. I don't see a lot of air in the pump lid, it's kind of like a bubble in the top of the dome, but that's it. When the pump starts there is air bubble coming out of the return jets initially, but it goes away.

I don't know if I am getting any suction from the main drain. I don't have a way to shut it off, but I can try shutting off both the skimmer and the spa and see what happens.

Any advice/insight?

Thanks!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Losing prime unless pulling from spa

I had this exact issue. It was a bad o ring in the 3 way valve that diverted from either spa drain or skimmer/Main drain. Pool builder replaced the valve internals and Orings and the problem went away.

I could run on spa drain all day and have no issues, if I rotated to pull from skimmer/main drain I'd get tons of air in the line. Overnight with the pump off the suction side of the pump would loose nearly all prime and it would take ~30 seconds to reprime everyday when turning on.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Losing prime unless pulling from spa

Great googly moogly! I have so many valves it's ridiculous, they probably all need o-ring/gasket replacement. Might as well do it all at once! At least that's better than a cracked/leaking pipe. Thanks!
    IG gunite freeform pool with attached spa, stone surround, 18,000 gallons, Pentair Tagelus TA60, Pentair Whisperflo WF-8 pump.