New Intex Pool With Sand Filter

lgldsr

May 18, 2016
Chicago, IL
Great forum here, thank you.

We just purchased an 18' x 9' x 52" Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool (w/ 1,200 gph Sand Filter Pump (w/ 1,200 gph Sand Filter Pump). This is my first pool with a sand filter. That said, when using a sand filter are the chemical measurements (pH, chlorine, etc) performed in the same manner?

I should add that as far as the included pump goes I cannot see this being sufficient for a pool holding just South of 5,000 gallons of water. I can supplement this with a 40GPM pump with conventional filter.

I just spoke with their T/S and frankly could not understand her accent, let alone with each question "Hold on please" when she was apparently relaying my question to someone else. In any event I believe she said I need to purchase 'Sili Sand'? How often need this be changed?

ANY
guidance or bits of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes, the testing is the same regardless of the type of filter.

You need to use #20 pool sand.

Best pieces of advice:
- Avoid the pool store
- Invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits
- Stick around TFP reading and learning

EDIT: OH!!! And make sure your LEVEL the ground before putting up the pool. The supports should all be within 1" of each other. Always dig down and do not backfill to raise low spots.

She was probably saying "silica" sand. As jblizzle stated, #20 pool sand is what you want. You can get it almost anywhere, including most hardware and big box stores, in addition to any pool store. But avoid the Qwikrete brand.

Sand doesn't really ever need to be changed. It's already millions of years old. But you may eventually need to deep clean your filter after a few years. Search the forums here for how to do that. I've never needed to do it personally.

She was probably saying "silica" sand. As jblizzle stated, #20 pool sand is what you want. You can get it almost anywhere, including most hardware and big box stores, in addition to any pool store. But avoid the Qwikrete brand.

Sand doesn't really ever need to be changed. It's already millions of years old. But you may eventually need to deep clean your filter after a few years. Search the forums here for how to do that. I've never needed to do it personally.

Many thanks to you both, greatly appreciated!

Hi,

The good news is that we're setting up the pool tomorrow and the bad news is that neither Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes have Silica Sand in stock....looking at least a week delivery. Play sand is plentiful though but is this a viable solution, even if only temporary?

Thank you!

Hi,

The good news is that we're setting up the pool tomorrow and the bad news is that neither Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes have Silica Sand in stock....looking at least a week delivery. Play sand is plentiful though but is this a viable solution, even if only temporary?

Thank you!
No, it's not. Wrong sized particles that will probably slip through the laterals. You might just have to hold your nose and visit a pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, it's not. Wrong sized particles that will probably slip through the laterals. You might just have to hold your nose and visit a pool store.
How true. They symbol for these pool stores should be a large jar of Vaseline.

I did find pool sand at Leslie's, Lighthouse stock #9919, fifty pounds. What threw me though is that she said it was "Number 50" and I asked if she was referring to the fifty pound bag. She said no, it was Number 50. I thought I needed 'Number 20'. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.