Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Pool With Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Pool With Sand Filter

Great forum here, thank you.

We just purchased an 18' x 9' x 52" Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool (w/ 1,200 gph Sand Filter Pump (w/ 1,200 gph Sand Filter Pump). This is my first pool with a sand filter. That said, when using a sand filter are the chemical measurements (pH, chlorine, etc) performed in the same manner?

I should add that as far as the included pump goes I cannot see this being sufficient for a pool holding just South of 5,000 gallons of water. I can supplement this with a 40GPM pump with conventional filter.

I just spoke with their T/S and frankly could not understand her accent, let alone with each question "Hold on please" when she was apparently relaying my question to someone else. In any event I believe she said I need to purchase 'Sili Sand'? How often need this be changed?

ANY
    guidance or bits of wisdom would be greatly appreciated and thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex Pool With Sand Filter

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes, the testing is the same regardless of the type of filter.

You need to use #20 pool sand.

Best pieces of advice:
    - Avoid the pool store
    - Invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits
    - Stick around TFP reading and learning

EDIT: OH!!! And make sure your LEVEL the ground before putting up the pool. The supports should all be within 1" of each other. Always dig down and do not backfill to raise low spots.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

She was probably saying "silica" sand. As jblizzle stated, #20 pool sand is what you want. You can get it almost anywhere, including most hardware and big box stores, in addition to any pool store. But avoid the Qwikrete brand.

Sand doesn't really ever need to be changed. It's already millions of years old. But you may eventually need to deep clean your filter after a few years. Search the forums here for how to do that. I've never needed to do it personally.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    She was probably saying "silica" sand. As jblizzle stated, #20 pool sand is what you want. You can get it almost anywhere, including most hardware and big box stores, in addition to any pool store. But avoid the Qwikrete brand.

Sand doesn't really ever need to be changed. It's already millions of years old. But you may eventually need to deep clean your filter after a few years. Search the forums here for how to do that. I've never needed to do it personally.
    Many thanks to you both, greatly appreciated!

5. Back To Top    #5

Why avoid quickrete brand if you don't mind my asking? Just bought a new sand filter I'm going to install when these Florida rains clear, and bought quickrete sand from Home Depot.

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cooljul View Post
    Why avoid quickrete brand if you don't mind my asking? Just bought a new sand filter I'm going to install when these Florida rains clear, and bought quickrete sand from Home Depot.

Thanks
    My findings on how not all sand is created equal should explain why.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

To be fair, that thread was likely a fairly isolated event and one would hope that the issue has been resolved by Qwikcrete ... although who knows
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys, I'm going to open up the bag tomorrow and take a peek at how it looks inside. That thread was helpful. Excited to install the new filter hopefully this weekend.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post

Hi,

The good news is that we're setting up the pool tomorrow and the bad news is that neither Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes have Silica Sand in stock....looking at least a week delivery. Play sand is plentiful though but is this a viable solution, even if only temporary?

Thank you!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by lgldsr View Post
    Hi,

The good news is that we're setting up the pool tomorrow and the bad news is that neither Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes have Silica Sand in stock....looking at least a week delivery. Play sand is plentiful though but is this a viable solution, even if only temporary?

Thank you!
    No, it's not. Wrong sized particles that will probably slip through the laterals. You might just have to hold your nose and visit a pool store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    No, it's not. Wrong sized particles that will probably slip through the laterals. You might just have to hold your nose and visit a pool store.
    How true. They symbol for these pool stores should be a large jar of Vaseline.

I did find pool sand at Leslie's, Lighthouse stock #9919, fifty pounds. What threw me though is that she said it was "Number 50" and I asked if she was referring to the fifty pound bag. She said no, it was Number 50. I thought I needed 'Number 20'. Any thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for your help!

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd be wary of that sand.

#20 shows .85mm
    #50 shows .30mm

Sand and Gravel Water Filtration Media - Red Flint

Does the bag say pool filter sand? I'd believe the packaging more than a clerk at Leslies.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd be wary of that sand.

#20 shows .85mm
    #50 shows .30mm

Sand and Gravel Water Filtration Media - Red Flint

Does the bag say pool filter sand? I'd believe the packaging more than a clerk at Leslies.
    Yes, it does say pool sand but not grade is to be found on the bag.

rsz_sand.jpg

14. Back To Top    #14

Do the grains look consistent sized? It's a good sign that they're not ashamed to let you see the product before you buy.

It's probably #20 and the clerk at leslies didn't know what she was talking about.

15. Back To Top    #15

Do the grains look consistent sized? It's a good sign that they're not ashamed to let you see the product before you buy.

It's probably #20 and the clerk at leslies didn't know what she was talking about.
    Thanks. The grains are consistent and I'm sure you're right. So far so good and thanks again for all your help. I cannot recommend this forum enough!

Lyman