I am prepping for the arrival of my new (used) Hot Spring vanguard spa next week. I have a kit of chemicals and instructions from the very well regarded vendor in our area and just want to check if there is anything I am missing. Here is what they recommended:
- PH and Alkaline up/down to balance at 7.5ish (this is the same as older spas I have maintained, so does not seem new)
- Silver ion insert (Nature2)
- 1 tbsp per person of MPS shock + "cleaning cycle" after use plus test occasionally and adjust as needed
- couple tbsp Diclor shock each week
In addition the previous owner was using SilkBalance, but my searches here and elsewhere make me think this is not worth the crazy price they are asking. Additionally the vendor said it does not do much.
As for the spa itself it is only a couple years old and has an ozonator, separate constant circulation pump, and larger filter set. It will live on a concrete pad in my side yard without an overhang (if this matters much).
Questions I have are:
- What should I do for startup? (The spa is super clean and well maintained right now, but will obviously be refilled when moved)
- Do I need anything additional such as Calcium, Borates or a water "softener"?
- Any other tips you may have...
I have reviewed the Chlorine/Bromine instructions here, but would like to give the Nature2 system a shot as some of the family does not like chlorine smell/feel and has enjoyed a friends spa using silver ion.