Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer socks.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer socks.....

Any input? Plus?
    15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer socks.....

I never run my pump without one in the skimmer. I use the 1 gal paint strainer nets from Home Depot.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

2 pack? How often do you change them?
    15000 gallon pool (15x30 + 7x7 sitting area), IG-Blue Pebble, Sand Filter-Hayward Pro Series, Pump-Hayward Tristar VS pump, Water Test Kit-TF 100, NEW POOL-COMPLETED ON 5/7/16, City Water w/no restriction, Dolphin M400

4. Back To Top    #4

Those things are durable. One will last me almost all season. I pull it out, bang it against my fence to get the dog hair and bugs off of it, then slip it back it. I'm el cheapo.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thx.....finding all of these things out as i search for needed equipment.......SMALL floating grass clippings=FINE MESH net, correct?

6. Back To Top    #6

Exactly. I live out in the country a bit outside SA. When I cut the grass and weeds on my property I get all kinds of junk on the water - especially if it's windy. We also get lots of small gnats, flying ants, etc. The paint strainer netting does superb. Very few get past the skimmer sock to the main filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use the skimmer socks sold specifically for pools. Makes a huge difference in saving my filter from all the pollen and other schmutz that gets caught in the sock. Skippy just rinses them out and puts them back in every day or two...or three... y'know?

Some folks use reusable paint strainers. Others use disposable hair nets which are fairly cheap but I wouldn't want to add more non-biodegradable waste to the landfills.

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in San Antonio, and I started using them on my two skimmers last week. They work great! Amazing all the junk that has been going to my filter. I agree with Splash that I will only run my filter with them on.
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I use them here in NJ only this time of year when the pollen is out of control. I remove and rinse them daily and 1 per skimmer lasts the season and then some.
    Tom
    16k freeform IG vinyl | Hayward 2hp pump, 300lb sand filter, 250k btu heater | AquaRite SWG | Installed October, 2014