Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
Just measured my TA a couple of times and it is reading 50. Other readings are:

CYA = 50
FC = 6
PH = 7.5
CH = 450

Pool is IG plaster 38000 Gallons.

Pool calculator is saying to add 16 Pounds of baking soda to get to TA = 100. How much should I add at a time and what is the best way to add it, broadcast or into the skimmer?

Thanks.

I added Baking Soda this weekend and I broadcast it at the broad end... you may want to split your 16 lbs into two batches.. and wait/measure TA level for a couple of days between batches.. just so that you don't dump 16 lbs at one time and then see values go haywire.

I'd suggest doing as Trbvm says- do half then re-test in a day or so. Broadcast is fine. We don't advocate putting anything loose in the skimmer.

Have you been adding a lot of acid to your pool to control your pH? That will lower your TA also.

Pool plaster is about a year old now. Acid demand has fallen over the year from about a gallon a week to about 1/2 gallon a week now. Is TA=100 a good target to shoot for? I have a new heater and don't want the copper destroyed because of low TA.

TA won't hurt your heater, high or low. Only PH below 7.2 is bad for your heater. Let your TA find equilibrium with your PH through adjustments to keep your PH at 7.6 to 7.8.

Well, that is a little complicated. But, you asked. :) We have been tweaking the recommended TA numbers down little by little. We are a working forum and are constantly gauging real world experience of our members as well as experimenting with our own pools behind the scenes. TA and its interaction with PH are a never ending source of entertainment. :) My TA is 50 right now and my PH has never been better, at 60 and 70 my PH still rose weekly. The only downside to TA of 50 is that you may not have enough alkalinity to buffer PH swings. So, if your PH jumps around a bit then 60 or 70 might be better. If your PH doesn't rise too much when TA is at 70 then that is fine. If it does rise and you have to add acid often then your TA will lower on its own through the acid additions. Eventually, PH will stop rising, but that might be with TA at 50. Then you add baking soda to raise your TA to 70 or 80 and your PH starts rising again so you add acid to lower PH and TA drops. Repeat!

Gary, I am in Riverside too. Do not raise your TA voluntarily as it is difficult to lower. I'd suggest 50ppm at the low side and consider borates for stability.

In fact, I have trouble keeping my TA below 70... I'd be pleased with 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have my TA down to 50, I have a SWG generator and this is where the TA and PH are happy, the hard part is keeping your CSI from getting to negative with a lower TA and that is what I am working on now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.