Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Low TA

Just measured my TA a couple of times and it is reading 50. Other readings are:

CYA = 50
    FC = 6
    PH = 7.5
    CH = 450

Pool is IG plaster 38000 Gallons.

Pool calculator is saying to add 16 Pounds of baking soda to get to TA = 100. How much should I add at a time and what is the best way to add it, broadcast or into the skimmer?

Thanks.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low TA

I added Baking Soda this weekend and I broadcast it at the broad end... you may want to split your 16 lbs into two batches.. and wait/measure TA level for a couple of days between batches.. just so that you don't dump 16 lbs at one time and then see values go haywire.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd suggest doing as Trbvm says- do half then re-test in a day or so. Broadcast is fine. We don't advocate putting anything loose in the skimmer.

Have you been adding a lot of acid to your pool to control your pH? That will lower your TA also.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool plaster is about a year old now. Acid demand has fallen over the year from about a gallon a week to about 1/2 gallon a week now. Is TA=100 a good target to shoot for? I have a new heater and don't want the copper destroyed because of low TA.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go- Pool School - Recommended Levels

I'd aim for 90 and see how it affects your pH. Also using PoolMath keep an eye on your CSI #
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info. Will head to Sams club and get a couple of 13.5 lb boxes of baking soda.

7. Back To Top    #7

TA won't hurt your heater, high or low. Only PH below 7.2 is bad for your heater. Let your TA find equilibrium with your PH through adjustments to keep your PH at 7.6 to 7.8.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    TA won't hurt your heater, high or low. Only PH below 7.2 is bad for your heater. Let your TA find equilibrium with your PH through adjustments to keep your PH at 7.6 to 7.8.
    I am confused (which isn't hard for me). Pool school recommended TA is 70-90+. Why would I not want to raise my TA from 50 to something more in the recommended range?

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, that is a little complicated. But, you asked. We have been tweaking the recommended TA numbers down little by little. We are a working forum and are constantly gauging real world experience of our members as well as experimenting with our own pools behind the scenes. TA and its interaction with PH are a never ending source of entertainment. My TA is 50 right now and my PH has never been better, at 60 and 70 my PH still rose weekly. The only downside to TA of 50 is that you may not have enough alkalinity to buffer PH swings. So, if your PH jumps around a bit then 60 or 70 might be better. If your PH doesn't rise too much when TA is at 70 then that is fine. If it does rise and you have to add acid often then your TA will lower on its own through the acid additions. Eventually, PH will stop rising, but that might be with TA at 50. Then you add baking soda to raise your TA to 70 or 80 and your PH starts rising again so you add acid to lower PH and TA drops. Repeat!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Gary, I am in Riverside too. Do not raise your TA voluntarily as it is difficult to lower. I'd suggest 50ppm at the low side and consider borates for stability.

In fact, I have trouble keeping my TA below 70... I'd be pleased with 50.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I also have my TA down to 50, I have a SWG generator and this is where the TA and PH are happy, the hard part is keeping your CSI from getting to negative with a lower TA and that is what I am working on now
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

12. Back To Top    #12

OK, I will leave TA as is at 50. Still a little confused as to why I should leave it at a level way below the recommended one, but I trust the members of this forum to not lead me astray especially in areas that I am weak in such as pool chemistry.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

TA is a driver for pH movement. The higher the TA, the higher and faster the pH will rise. The 50-60 range with a pH of 7.8 is near equilibrium and limits pH rise due to carbon dioxide outgassing (aeration).
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the info, everyone. Brian - just looked at your pool build thread. Awesome job on that and great looking pool!

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Thanks Gary!
    -Brian-
    POOL BUILD