Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this Normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Millington, Tennessee

Is this Normal?

I opened my pool about 3 weeks ago. I had some winter cover issues, cheaper is not better. So I started with a green swamp. I started the SLAM process with a small sand filter. After a week of noticeable change in color but not clarity. I switched out to a bigger sand filter (26), with no change in clarity. Do I just gave to continue to wait or do I have a problem?

Here are my numbers from this morning.

FC: 22
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.1
    CYA: 40
    TA: 70

I know my FC is higher than SLAM level but I added one more bottle of 10%,than usual because of my work schedule. It has also been cloudy the last two days. OCLT is zero.
    30K Gal 36'X54" AGP, Eco kleer 22 Sand Filter 55GPM, Installed June 2010, Waterway 1.0 Hp Pump (Installed April 2013), Taylor-2006 test kit, Previously Perma salt system, BBB Method from now on.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Is this Normal?

Three weeks is not normal. However, lingering cloudiness is very common. Sand filters are the slowest about clearing a SLAM.

Two suggestions: 1)Add DE to the filter, so it forms a finer layer on top of the sand bed and screens out smaller particles
    2) Do what you can to increase circulation down low. You want whatever's floating in the water to find its way to the filter. If all you have is a skimmer at the surface, it's not going to make it. So brush a lot. Point a return down to get the water stirred up. Or connect the vacuum and set it on its side or upside down and use it as a drain down at the bottom.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!