Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool care

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool care

Recently purchased a home with an existing ag pool. Previous owner left pool uncovered all winter. I followed their instructions for start up( added 40lbs of salt, shocked with 3lbs of htp super scock, then added algecide the next day). This turned the water from dark green to cloudy blue over night. I have since added liquid bleach. I have been working on clearing it up for about two-three weeks now. Vaccuming and brushing.
    Getting close but water is still slightly hazy, i can see the bottom. I don't have a test kit yet, only test strips that tell me alk, ph, and copper.
    Alk is around 80-90; ph is around 7.2-7.6, copper is 0-0.3. I don't have any other test results. No pool stores near my home town. Any suggestion on clearing the water totally would be a great help. Still trying to understand this permasalt system????
    17,100ga AG, 19" SAND FILTER,1.5HP WATERWAY PUMP; PERMASALT SYSTEM(TURNED OFF)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool care

Welcome to TFP!

Permasalt doesn't have a great reputation here on TFP and likely for good reason. Use the search box above for Permasalt and you'll find some interesting discussions. It shouldn't be too difficult to move away from the permasalt methods and adopt TFP methods.

In general, it's not wise to start a pool up by just adding the same chemicals every year without doing testing first. Having a proper test kit and doing initial and daily testing is paramount to knowing what your pool needs. Check out the Pool School - Test Kits Compared as step one. You need to have a proper home test kit for accuracy of results and convenience. Spend a bit of time in Pool School starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and ask lots of questions.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Perma salt is not a product we suggest for pool care. We teach folks to manage their pools with no proprietary products. Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll get you started in the right direction.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for that info. Can I just turn the perma salt system off and use the existing pump and filter to follow TFP guidelines for pool start up and water chemistry? If so, what about the salt I have already put in the pool?
    17,100ga AG, 19" SAND FILTER,1.5HP WATERWAY PUMP; PERMASALT SYSTEM(TURNED OFF)

5. Back To Top    #5

Turning it off and running your pool is good. Salt in the pool is fine. Most pools have salt in them anyway. It also makes the water softer and feel nicer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter