Vinyl SW pool coping.

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, ky
We are getting an inground vinyl saltwater pool this summer and I'm curious which coping would hold up best to the saltwater and is easiest to maintain. We are debating between concrete cantilever coping or the standard white aluminum coping that comes w/most liner pools (but we'd be getting gray instead of white).

I've never had a saltwater pool and have heard that it can erode things but I'm not sure how true that is. How well do each of them hold up against SW? I'm guessing the aluminum coping would be easier to replace if it was damaged/eroded. I really love the look of the cantilever though....I've heard cantilever can crack or chip and end up looking bad if not done properly.

So which holds up best in general? Which tolerates saltwater best? Would love to hear views/pros/cons. Thanks!

Both should tolerate saltwater well. I have the traditional white aluminum coping and there are times I wish I had a more appealing looking pool edge such as a cantilever over the top. Aluminum certainly will stand the test of time and be easy to replace. I don't have any experience with cantilever coping and its durability and serviceability. I know that if I did cantilever I would go for a minimal overhang just so it's easier to maintain, less prone to breakage and easier to hop out of the pool, say in the shallow end, without worrying about scraping a leg.

Check out the link I posted in your gray liner thread. It shows a vinyl pool with what looks like pavers, though is similar in appearance to PA bluestone. Neither concrete pavers nor bluestone would have any issue with saltwater. For that matter, most coping are not truly at risk. From what we've seen here, the perceived risk is MUCH greater than actual. This is also a nice vinyl pool install but without cantilever or aluminum. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/69874-New-Pool-Build-Champagne-Taste-on-a-Beer-Budget/page5 I'm just not a big fan of those two copings on vinyl so I tend to be attracted to pools like the two I referenced.

Check out the link I posted in your gray liner thread. It shows a vinyl pool with what looks like pavers, though is similar in appearance to PA bluestone. Neither concrete pavers nor bluestone would have any issue with saltwater. For that matter, most coping are not truly at risk. From what we've seen here, the perceived risk is MUCH greater than actual. This is also a nice vinyl pool install but without cantilever or aluminum. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/69874-New-Pool-Build-Champagne-Taste-on-a-Beer-Budget/page5 I'm just not a big fan of those two copings on vinyl so I tend to be attracted to pools like the two I referenced.

What kind of coping is that in the link? I like it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.