Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl SW pool coping.

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl SW pool coping.

We are getting an inground vinyl saltwater pool this summer and I'm curious which coping would hold up best to the saltwater and is easiest to maintain. We are debating between concrete cantilever coping or the standard white aluminum coping that comes w/most liner pools (but we'd be getting gray instead of white).

I've never had a saltwater pool and have heard that it can erode things but I'm not sure how true that is. How well do each of them hold up against SW? I'm guessing the aluminum coping would be easier to replace if it was damaged/eroded. I really love the look of the cantilever though....I've heard cantilever can crack or chip and end up looking bad if not done properly.

So which holds up best in general? Which tolerates saltwater best? Would love to hear views/pros/cons. Thanks!
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl SW pool coping.

Both should tolerate saltwater well. I have the traditional white aluminum coping and there are times I wish I had a more appealing looking pool edge such as a cantilever over the top. Aluminum certainly will stand the test of time and be easy to replace. I don't have any experience with cantilever coping and its durability and serviceability. I know that if I did cantilever I would go for a minimal overhang just so it's easier to maintain, less prone to breakage and easier to hop out of the pool, say in the shallow end, without worrying about scraping a leg.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Check out the link I posted in your gray liner thread. It shows a vinyl pool with what looks like pavers, though is similar in appearance to PA bluestone. Neither concrete pavers nor bluestone would have any issue with saltwater. For that matter, most coping are not truly at risk. From what we've seen here, the perceived risk is MUCH greater than actual. This is also a nice vinyl pool install but without cantilever or aluminum. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-Budget/page5 I'm just not a big fan of those two copings on vinyl so I tend to be attracted to pools like the two I referenced.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Check out the link I posted in your gray liner thread. It shows a vinyl pool with what looks like pavers, though is similar in appearance to PA bluestone. Neither concrete pavers nor bluestone would have any issue with saltwater. For that matter, most coping are not truly at risk. From what we've seen here, the perceived risk is MUCH greater than actual. This is also a nice vinyl pool install but without cantilever or aluminum. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-Budget/page5 I'm just not a big fan of those two copings on vinyl so I tend to be attracted to pools like the two I referenced.

What kind of coping is that in the link? I like it!
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

5. Back To Top    #5

I think they said Stone Creek pavers in buff.
    Welcome To Stone Creek Pavers
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a clarification, it's corrode not erode. Good luck!

16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Tool View Post
    Just a clarification, it's corrode not erode. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks for clarifying!