Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leslie’s CLEAR Aid

1. Back To Top    #1

Leslie’s CLEAR Aid

So back a few months ago when I got my pool and knew nothing, I went to Leslie's to talk to them about my pool, they sold me this stuff for $26. It is sitting in my shed. I know now not to buy it, but, can't take it back, and it's just there...

Questions is, since I have it, my pool is kind of cloudy right now from all the rainstorms we have had, basically organic material, I need to scrub and vacuum and let filter run. Would it be helpful at all to dump this stuff in? I promise this would be the only time I would ever use it!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leslie’s CLEAR Aid

I got lots of stuff i bought in the winter i may never use now... may have to donate it to some pool somewhere. but even though i don't know a whole lot... if the numbers are good. can't really hurt to much doing it one time.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

can't really hurt to much doing it one time.
    Maybe....Maybe not.
    a primary belief at TFP is that we NEVER put anything in the pool unless you know the outcome.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Out of curiosity what does the bottle say the ingredients are? All the Leslie's website says is "SMARTzyme technology with an organic clarifier"
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I did some more research and I think I figured it out. The chemical is "Alcohols, C9-11, ethoxylated"

Pool Perfect | Product Detail | Natural Chemistry
    https://media.nat.cm/filer_public/07...sds_-oct14.pdf

I think it works by lowering the surface tension of the water, such that suspended particulates sink to the bottom.

Particulates are best taken care of by your filter and good brushing. I'm not sure it would hurt anything, but I wouldn't add it myself.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    I think it works by lowing the surface tension of the water, such that suspended particulates sink to the bottom.

Particulates are best taken care of by your filter and good brushing. I'm not sure it would hurt anything, but I wouldn't add it myself.
    Just to be clear. If you used something like a floc that drops "stuff" to the bottom and you have the pump running it should not be filtering. It should be bypassing the filter and just recycling to mix the chemical and stir the water. When it's time to get rid of the stuff that's dropped to the bottom it should be vacuumed to waste and not sent through the filter.

If you chose not to use the Leslie's product (IMHO I wouldn't) you can always Craigslist it too.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
    Just to be clear. If you used something like a floc that drops "stuff" to the bottom and you have the pump running it should not be filtering. It should be bypassing the filter and just recycling to mix the chemical and stir the water. When it's time to get rid of the stuff that's dropped to the bottom it should be vacuumed to waste and not sent through the filter.

If you chose not to use the Leslie's product (IMHO I wouldn't) you can always Craigslist it too.
    Not saying your wrong, but what's the reasoning behind never letting it touch the filter? The product page says: "Pool Perfect also acts as a continuous filter cleaner. It eliminates oils and other non-living organics that clog filters and reduce efficiency." -- Not that we haven't seen BS marketing claims from pool products in the past.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

8. Back To Top    #8

Products like that have been known to gum up filters.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I have read enough that I am not going to use it...will CL it or give it away....thanks everyone!
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The urge is so strong to say to yourself "dangit, I paid all this money for this stuff, so I'm going to use it!". I've fallen prey to that too. But when it could add things to your pool that are impossible to get out without a full drain, or cause an unanticipated reaction, losing swimming time because you're trying to clean up after something that you didn't need need in the first place would be horrible.

Great idea on CLing it. Stay the course!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pinguy View Post
    Not saying your wrong, but what's the reasoning behind never letting it touch the filter? The product page says: "Pool Perfect also acts as a continuous filter cleaner. It eliminates oils and other non-living organics that clog filters and reduce efficiency."
    Pool Perfect is a different product than the one the OP was asking about.

The OP in the original post mentioned using Clear Aid and letting the filter run. It's a new product and not one I've ever used or am familiar with. Introducing Leslies Poolapedia

All the flocking agents I'm familiar with are not to be run into the filter as they can clog and or clump up the sand and cause problems with proper filtering and aren't necessarily removed by backwashing. That's why I said what I said. I was lazy and didn't pull up the product and read up on it.

Apparently this product is supposed to help grab onto organic matter and get filtered out so my advise wouldn't apply to this product if it works as advertised. IMHO, I still wouldn't use it and just adding some DE to a sand filter might work as well. That's what works for me.
    Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!