Too much BORAX!

Apr 24, 2016
SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Hi, everybody... I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post (aahh, already making progress).

So, let's get it out of the way, I'm a bit of a bonehead, and as such, made a pretty bonehead move. You may razz me about it at your convenience.

I was going out of town for two weeks, and thought I was close to getting my pool chemistry where it needed to be. With my readings, the Pool Calculator stated I need to add 12(!) 76oz. boxes of Borax to raise my pH from 6.1 to 7.5. "No problem," I thought. "I'll just add that to the pool, and go on my merry way."

While on the road, my wife reported that the pool looked "a little cloudy." I told her to just add a jug of Chlorine to the pool, and would take care of it when I got back.

Upon return, I found that the Borax has not gone into solution in the pool. There is a fine white dust everywhere in the water, and the pool is still cloudy.

I've been running the pump 24/7 for the last 4 days, with the aerators pointed upward, and the pool vacuum (Zodiac MX-3) running constantly. To my neighbors' chagrin, I have backwashed the pool filter 3 times, and it is regurgitating the pool water which leaves massive amounts of white residue on the street. Violence against me may soon ensue (kidding).

Help! Anybody have any ideas??

My current readings:
TC: 3
Alkalinity: 200 (!)
pH: 7.2
CyA: 0 (yeah... I have some liquid conditioner on order, as I refuse to pay Leslie's $42/gallon)

Sincere thanks, everyone.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

1. How did you get pH of 6.1? no pool kit goes that low.

2. Aerate your pool. TA will come down and pH will go up. Do that until you get about to 100 TA and maybe 7.2 - 7.4 pH. There is an article in Pool School that will teach you how.

3. I think just getting your TA down into manageable territory will start clearing the cloudiness. Post back and tell us what happens after you lower TA.

Hey, duraleigh... thank you so much! That's about what I figured, but it's SO nice to get another opinion! You're the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Texas! Just trying to do it up BIG, like everything in the TX! Thanks for the welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Belllissimo... thanks for responding! I live in Phoenix, so I assume my water hardness is high already, and not much to be done about taking it down. Am I wrong about that?

I live in Phoenix, so I assume my water hardness is high already, and not much to be done about taking it down. Am I wrong about that?
For those who live in areas with notoriously hard water, your best defense for managing high CH is watching your CSI level on the Poolmath Calculator. By adjusting pH and/or TA a little lower, you can see how it keeps the CSI from exceeding the threshold of 0.6 for scale. Check it out. If you have questions, let us know. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.