Considering the switch to SWG... some questions.

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
Hello,

First off I have an AG pool (18' x 48" Summer Waves just bought last week). Last year we had another AG pool (the liner ended up tearing so we bought a new pool). My son had some skin issues when swimming and we believe it was related to the chlorine. So we've been looking at getting a Salt water filter.

I talked to my friend who has a Salt Water filter and he told me that in Michigan the salt ionizer does not work as well because it doesn't get hot enough.

I'm very new to this so I'm wondering if there are other types of Salt water filter that don't use the ionizer? I found one on Amazon that has E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) is that the same thing?

Also, I know I will need another filter along with the SWG, would it be OK to use a cartridge filter or would you suggest a Sand filter?

Thanks for all your help.

With all due respect to your friend, he is wrong. SWG's will work just fine at any temperature above their cold water cut-off. Now it is true that, in Michigan where you have a short swim season and colder water temps, an SWG may not get as much as use as they do here in the southern AZ desert, but they will still work just the same.

The other thing to remember is that a salt water pool is a chlorine pool just like a manual dosed bleach pool. The electrochemical cell just converts the chloride ion (Cl-) from salt into chlorine gas which then dissolves in the water to form free chlorine. Many people report "skin issues" with chlorine but, in a properly chlorinated and clean pool, chlorine does not typically cause "skin issues" or "sensitivity". Typically it's the disinfection by-product (DBP's) like combined chloramine (CC) that cause irritations. I have mild eczema on my hands and that issue typically gets better when I swim, not worse. Same for a family member of mine that has psoriasis; the salty pool water and chlorine pool makes it better.

ECO is not the same thing as an SWG. If you want to get an SWG, look at the major manufacturer like Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc. They offer SWG cells in various sizes. You want to choose an SWG cell that is rating for approximately 2X your pool volume so that the cell will last a long time.

You do NOT need a new pump or filter with an SWG; your cartridge filter will work just fine. Chlorine is only produced when water is flowing through the SWG cell so many people have to run their pumps longer then they normally do when they switch to SWGs. If you have an inefficient, single speed pump, you might want to consider upgrading to a 2-speed or variable speed pump as that will save you a lot on electricity costs.

Please keep posting questions as they come to you and, when you've narrowed down your choices, lets us know as many people will be willing to help.

Skin issues are more often caused by improper pH than they are chlorine, unless chlorine levels are excessive.

A salt water pool is still a chlorine pool. The salt is converted to chlorine in the salt water chlorine generator. It's true that SWGs do not function below a certain temperature. It varies by manufacturer but usually between 50 and 60 degrees F. All SWGs use a cell to ionize sodium chloride into chlorine.

If you're looking at the Intex SWG models, go with the one rated for a 15000 gallon pool. You won't have to run the pump as long to achieve the same sanitation (FC levels). Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

The Intex cartridge filters aren't historically the best. They are way undersized and underpowered with the pumps they come with to run your SWG. Look at the 2800 or 3000 GPH models of pump/sand filter combos.

I would suggest you give us a set of pool chemical readings.

It's not common for a pool in proper chemical ranges to have adverse effects of swimmers.

You seem to have two issues: skin rashes and the desire to supply the same chlorine from two different sources - liquid or powder, or a salt water chlorine generator.

I would suggest you give us a set of pool chemical readings.

It's not common for a pool in proper chemical ranges to have adverse effects of swimmers.

You seem to have two issues: skin rashes and the desire to supply the same chlorine from two different sources - liquid or powder, or a salt water chlorine generator.

I have not opened the pool up yet so I haven't gotten a chance to get any chemical readings. But I will send some as soon as I can.

It's not just the skin rashes that caused us to start thinking about SWG. My wife stays home with the kids and is typically very busy during the day and I work all day so we were looking for something a little more simple for keeping the water clear. I thought the SWG would be a nice simple solution. Because we live in Michigan our pool is open for about 3 months a year and our pool isn't the biggest or most expensive. We just want to have some water fun on hot days (if those ever come here haha!).

- - - Updated - - -

Skin issues are more often caused by improper pH than they are chlorine, unless chlorine levels are excessive.

A salt water pool is still a chlorine pool. The salt is converted to chlorine in the salt water chlorine generator. It's true that SWGs do not function below a certain temperature. It varies by manufacturer but usually between 50 and 60 degrees F. All SWGs use a cell to ionize sodium chloride into chlorine.

If you're looking at the Intex SWG models, go with the one rated for a 15000 gallon pool. You won't have to run the pump as long to achieve the same sanitation (FC levels). Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

The Intex cartridge filters aren't historically the best. They are way undersized and underpowered with the pumps they come with to run your SWG. Look at the 2800 or 3000 GPH models of pump/sand filter combos.

So you're saying something like this would not be enough? Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Because our pool is only open a few months of the year, we aren't looking to break the bank when it comes to a new filter.

The pump you listed there would work OK but those cartridge filters are garbage. They're sized about right for a 400 gallon hot tub, not a 7500 gallon pool. If you want a simple, one package solution, I'd go with this: Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden Has the pump, filter and pseudo-SWG in one. If you're going to keep this pool for several years, I'd look at investing in a better set up as Matt suggested. Intex equipment works alright but is generally somewhat "disposable" by nature.

You have a good plan, the SWG can certainly make maintenance easier. We are just trying to correct some of the rumors and help you set realistic expectations. unfortunately there is a lot of bad information out there. I am starting to give up hope on the warm weather myself.

Everyone, thanks so much for you input. After reading your posts and other articles about SWG, I think for right now I'm going to stick with a sand filter. The current sand filter I have was a used one I got that hasn't worked very well so I think I'm going to buy this Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I'm going to try to get some chemical readings the first couple weeks and do a much better job of keeping my levels where they need to be (I bought a good kit last year, based on the recommendation of this site.) I can always add a SWG later if I really need to.

You all have been very kind and encouraging.

Thanks again!

fbade7164f22cde14b9f71d6d35e002c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everyone, thanks so much for you input. After reading your posts and other articles about SWG, I think for right now I'm going to stick with a sand filter. The current sand filter I have was a used one I got that hasn't worked very well so I think I'm going to buy this Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

I'm going to try to get some chemical readings the first couple weeks and do a much better job of keeping my levels where they need to be (I bought a good kit last year, based on the recommendation of this site.) I can always add a SWG later if I really need to.

You all have been very kind and encouraging.

Thanks again!

Just to clarify - a SWG does not filter the water, it makes chlorine out of salt. Filtering is separate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.