Pros/Cons of Pool/Spa on same water system?

kj5kb

Aug 8, 2010
SW of Kansas City
I inherited a 16x32 Vinyl In-ground pool and a 6x6' Morgan Spa with this house we purchased in 2014. Previous house had an 8K gallon AGP on BBB, so just had to ramp it up to an 20K IGP. Not really "spa people", we used the Spa once when we first moved in, left it running the winter of 2014/15 ($$) and drained it last winter. Over the Winter the heater froze and broke, flooding the bottom of the control box inside the Spa.

As an Electronics tech, I look at the Electrics for the tub and am not happy with them. House is 20 years old, the tub controller is at least that old technology-wise, as well as rusted and somewhat corroded...it's all mechanical timers and contactors...robust and reliable but old and has been wet.

I have a 1.5HP Hayward Super Pump and S244 sand filter running the main pool. Wouldn't cost that much nor be horribly inconvenient to pump pool water into the Spa and drain back to pool. I'd do it above ground to start with, see if we actually USE the Spa before either replumbing underground or replacing Spa pack.

When I look at replacing the Spa pack, even DIY, I'm about 25-30% of the cost of completely new Spa.
Not a big fan of "lounger" style Spas like this one, I'd rather have a basic style tub where 4-6 adults can comfortably sit.

I realize I would no longer be able to heat the spa and would probably lose the functionality of the blower. Other Cons? A big Pro to me is maintaining ONE pool!

Sounds like what you are proposing would be a hassle of filling and draining (and never getting all the water out so who knows what starts growing in there ;) ). And if you can not heat it, what is the point of having it at all? If you want to sit in pool temperature water, just go sit in the pool :D

Sounds like what you are proposing would be a hassle of filling and draining (and never getting all the water out so who knows what starts growing in there ;) ). And if you can not heat it, what is the point of having it at all? If you want to sit in pool temperature water, just go sit in the pool :D

That's a fair comment. There would be no filling and draining...it would be plumbed to circulate with the pool water.
Thinking along the lines of...a nice place to SIT in the water vs nowhere good to really sit in the pool. Uncovered it today and it's funky/green/nasty...so need to do something with it in the next few weeks...

I guess I can not think how you could keep water circulating through it constantly. There is really no way to guarantee you are adding and removing water at the same rate. That is why when the spa is attached to a pool, the spa usually spills over into the pool to keep the water in the spa "fresh"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.