Is the VS Pump worth the cost?

May 18, 2016
Kennesaw Ga
First off, this is a great site! I wish I found it long ago.
I'm ready for a new pump motor (think the bearings are going on my single speed pump) and have been considering one of the VS pumps. However I've read so many negative comments about these pumps only lasting between 1 to 2 years, mainly due to electronics problems. I just don't know if it's worth the money considering my old Hayward Super II (A.O. Smith) motors each lasted about 10 years.

I have an 18x38 (25K) vinyl pool with a Hayward Sand Filter (S244T), 1.5hp pump, and Intellichlor 40. The entire system is plumbed with 1.5" pipe back when it was installed 23 years ago. Based on what I've read on this site, VS pumps are not that helpful where 1.5" pipe exists. I also found out that here in Atlanta, my electric is only 5.3 cents/kwh. Based on calculators out on the Pentair and Hayward sites, it might take me 6 - 7+ years to see an ROI on the VS pumps.

From a financial standpoint, it seems to make more sense to stay with the old 1.5hp (single speed) style motor because they 'apparently' last longer and my savings (based on the online calculators I noted above) would only save me about $25/month or $150/season. Far cry from the local pool store's estimate of $1,000. ;) BTW, my pool season is roughly 6 months and I run the pump 12 hours/day.

Am I missing something that justifies a VS pump or should I stay with the old 1.5 single speed?

Appreciate any input. Thank you.

At .05 kW/hr your ROI probably wouldn't be great, does that include all the taxes and delivery charges? The low end for a VS pump is about $650 if you are installing it yourself.

Most problems with VS electronics, actually all household electronics not just the stuff in your pool, stem from two main causes. One is power surges from the utility grid. You can't control them and 99% of them are so small or fast you have no idea they even happened. A panel mounted or whole home surge suppressor will give your electronics at least some protection. They aren't perfect but they do help.
Second and not as easy to track down or fix is the ground wiring in your home. Over time the ground rods grounding your main panel can corrode and become less effective, and if you are really unlucky you never had a ground rod properly installed. Another common ground issue is if there are multiple neutral to ground bonding points. If there is more than one place neutral and ground touch you can get feedback loops that actually energize your ground wire. Modern electronics have to have a stable and clean ground reference point. Grounding issues are hard to track down and are ignored because people don't even know that they exist. More often than not they blame the piece of electronics for failing when it really may have been the wiring in their house that caused the issue. The older the house and wiring the more likely it is there is insufficient or improper grounding because back in the day before modern electronics it wasn't a critical issue.

CJadamec and banditig, thanks for your input. I will look into the 2 speed motor and definitely review the grounding issues. Our house was built in '93 and I know exactly where the the grounding rod is located. I never considered it might have rusted out over the years. Lots more to consider... thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.