Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I close my bottom drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I close my bottom drain?

I have tons of pollen and little "tree seed helicopters" on the surface of my pool right now. The skimmer isn't able to keep up so I'm manually skimming a few times a day.

Can I shut off my bottom drain completely for a few days to increase the power of my skimmer??
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I close my bottom drain?

Yes, you can. I throttled mine back just to the point where I can detect a difference in the turbulence in the skimmer from no drain, so it's hardly any flow through the drain at all. Just enough to minimize temperature stratification.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

That explains it.

I have my bottom drain opened 100% at the moment. That will change as soon as I get home from work today.

Thanks!!
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, I keep mine about 80% skimmer 20% drain. That way if the skimmer clogs up the pump can still get water from the drain. I only switch to 100% drain when I am brushing. I brush to the drain and don't have to vacuum. Handy! Especially since I don't have a vacuum!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach