asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've noticed small bubbles emitting from two of my 5 return jets at pump start up. They continue for approximately 30 minutes and then almost disappear completely. My water level is perfect so air is not entering through the skimmers. What other culprits should I investigate?

Thanks!

My pool is non-SWG.
"See air in the pump." Do you mean by looking through the top of the pool pump's basket?
Does the filter drain when the pump is off?" I have a Triton II sand filter. How would I determine if it drains when the pumps are off? Your question spurred a memory in my mind. When I stand next to the filter with the pumps off, I can faintly hear a sound that resembles slowly moving water. It almost sounds as if it's draining. I don't know where the water could be draining to because the water level in the pool isn't noticeably dropping.

Thanks for your help.

Yes I mean in the top of the pump basket.

You know it is draining if you see air go into the pool when the pump turns back on, or if you open the air relief valve on the top of the filter with the pump on and air comes out.
If you hear water moving when the pump is off, then I am guessing you have a leak somewhere that is allowing air into the system and letting the filter drain back to the pool.

I may have found the culprit. The "cap" on top of my Triton II sand filter may have a very small leak. I'll attach pics.

A few points of reference:

When I start the pump, there is a pocket of air inside the pump's basket that disappears after a few seconds.

When I look at the pressure gauge on top of the filter, it never moves after turning the system on.

When I unscrew the air pressure while the pump is running, I hear a loud squeal and air, not water, is released.

There is a clear plastic portion of the pressure gauge in between the gauge and the air release nob. When the pumps are running, I don't see water but rather small drops jumping inside. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be full of water to the top or if this is normal.

Top of filter leak:

f9af0ab24957f97e3fad064f56e8177c.jpg

From the front:

uploadfromtaptalk1463639082699.jpg

Air inside pressure gauge:

476f03322013a5c34aea69bd2f83cf11.jpg

Bubbles emitting from return in deep end:

uploadfromtaptalk1463639214345.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

You found the source of the air. That sound you are hearing is water slowly returning backwards into your pool. This is creating the air bubble in the filter. As it runs, the pump is driving the air out and that's what you are seeing from the returns. I have a similar problem with mine. I don't know 100% for sure, but I would bet that sight glass is supposed to be full.
With the pump running, if you open the air release until water come out of it. Then close it again, I bet the bubbles will quickly stop at the return. Once full, you may find where water is leaking from the system and therefore the source of your air.
Do you see any drips, anywhere while the pump is running?

Also, I see that your pressure gauge is showing around 10psi. Does it always show that, even when the pump is off? If so, it probably needs to be replaced. (Tftestkits.net has soem nice ones!)

If you gauge is not moving at all (does it drop back down to 0 when you turn the pump off?) you need a new gauge. I know I was lucky to get 6 months out of the non-filled ones. I have one of the filled ones now and it is NICE and it has already lasted longer than any of the non-filled ones!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you gauge is not moving at all (does it drop back down to 0 when you turn the pump off?) you need a new gauge. I know I was lucky to get 6 months out of the non-filled ones. I have one of the filled ones now and it is NICE and it has already lasted longer than any of the non-filled ones!

Kim:cat:
I replaced the filter's closure cap and the gauge is now working perfectly. With the filter off, it sits at 0. When I turn it on, it moves between 15-20. What continues to baffle me is the small bubbles emitting from the returns immediately after my pump primes (approximately 10 seconds). I can't find a single leak anywhere in the above ground plumbing. And I performed a bucket leak test during live and idle filtration cycles (no leak). There are some bubbles in the filter pump's clear cap/top. Is it possible I'm sucking in some air during priming?

I was having the same problem yesterday and after checking and replacing the swimmer socks it went away. One of my socks had become clogged and was restricting suction. Not sure if that is your problem but it was causing exactly what you were describing. Now it is running clear with no bubbles.

I was having the same problem yesterday and after checking and replacing the swimmer socks it went away. One of my socks had become clogged and was restricting suction. Not sure if that is your problem but it was causing exactly what you were describing. Now it is running clear with no bubbles.
Hmm, I'll check that possibility out later when I'm home. Appreciate that advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.