Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-Rite PLBC-178l Booster Pump Replacement Suggestions

1. Back To Top    #1

Granada Hills, Ca

Sta-Rite PLBC-178l Booster Pump Replacement Suggestions

Hello everyone,
    As stated in my title, I have a circa 1999 Sta-Rite 1/2 HP Model PLBC-178L Booster pump that is getting very loud and I believe is in need of replacement. (25,000 gal in-ground pool with a Polaris 380)
    I would like to get some opinions as to whether I should replace the pump like for like, or look at something more efficient.
    It was suggested that I consider a Pentair LA-MS05 "Boost Rite" pump, but it is 1.1 Hp as opposed to my current 1/2 Hp...could this be a problem? also fittings are 1" compared to 3/4' on current pump.
    Lastly I was looking at th Polaris PB4-60 3/4 Hp which seems to be highly rated, and matches up well, in regard to Hp and suction connection is 3/4".
    I am also worried about matchup plumbing.
    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Sta-Rite PLBC-178l Booster Pump Replacement Suggestions

Hello Sandy,
    Looking at the diagram here: Sta-Rite PLBC Booster Pump Parts -

Why not just replace the motor and move on. You don't want to go with the 1.1 HP it uses more energy (waste of money).

All you'll need is a new motor and shaft seal. Much cheaper than replacing the whole thing.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida