Help!!! Algae Problem, I think...Picture Included

Mar 5, 2015
Norman, OK
Hi All,
I got off to what I thought was a great start opening my pool, crystal clear within a day and all seemed well. Water temp was about 60 degree's when opening, and SLAM was quick and easy. My CYA level was low however when opening, approx. 15-20. I added stabilizer to bring it up to what I thought I figured would be about 35-40, however I ended up at about 75. :brickwall: After raising the CYA too much I decided to just leave it and let it lower itself through backwashing throughout the summer, and adjust the FC levels accordingly.
Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, we had a big spike in outdoor temps, the pool water turned to a very slight green/bluish color rather than clear. My FC levels began to drop quickly, leading me to another SLAM which has now lasted for about a week. I am not sure if I have an algae problem or if possibly this is white water mold? Any help would be appreciated as this has taken longer than expected to clear out and hoping I am not missing something.
I have been doing my best to keep the FC between 28-30 however it seems to be dropping a few PPM every few hours, so it has been tough to keep it exactly there. Before shocking I had the PH to about 7.3. As seen in the pictures, I just discovered this stuff in one of the skimmers, as well as along the tile and corners of both skimmer "mouths" and I believe there is some also growing on the return piping near the eyeballs. I have begun scrubbing them like crazy since discovering the growth and am hoping that scrubbing will loosen everything up to die. Thank you all for your help in advance and let me know what other info you may need! :confused:

Hey there :)

it does look like you have some algae going there, could you give us another shot a little farther away? with a high CYA level it can get away from you fast... if your FC level drops below 6 algae can start growing. once done with the SLAM target FC 9 daily

Use CYA level of 80 and SLAM to 31 and try to keep it there as much as possible, you will get there :)

The photo is of the inside of the skimmer, where I noticed the most buildup of whatever algae/mold it is. Is it possible that this is white water mold? I did notice a lot of slimy looking white stuff in the skimmer baskets, something I'd never seen before. I will try to get more pics to further clarify, however I have since scrubbed everything I could find so I'm not sure I will be able to get any actual pictures. The good news is overnight nothing grew back, or at least visibly. Thanks all for your help, I had FC at 36 last night and when testing this morning was down to about 28-29. Is that still considered a large loss considering how high my shock level and CYA are? Thanks!
Edit - Also, I would describe the mold/algae as looking similar to what you would find around spider eggs? Not sure if that helps identify exactly what it is

Update. I have scrubbed all that I can reach with the long brush and a handheld brush, however without getting in the pool (Water temp is around 70 and chlorine level obviously high) I'm fairly sure there are spots that I am missing. The main drain and the light housing I believe are the two main areas, and I wonder if this stuff could be growing in the plumbing of the pool as well? I know I have scraped some off of the pipe threads to the eyeball returns. Any thoughts? Pool is still eating chlorine at a similarly fast rate, not sure how much improvement has happened even though I have manually brushed and removed a substainstial amount from the skimmer/return/some of the light areas. Any thoughts or recommendations at this point, or keep pushing? I am spending a lot of money on chlorine with my CYA being this high so beginning to get a little discouraged.

Here are some pictures of some of the bad stuff in the pool I was able to find and pull out. It basically looks and feels like wet boogers. Also a picture or two of the pool for reference, the water is nice and clear, although the rainy day isn't letting it sparkle too much. BTW, water temp is well below 70, closer to 65.

I suspect you are not far away from being finished. Those are not terribly large overnight losses.

I am curious why you don't drain even a 1/4 of the water. That CYA is going to be hard to keep up with over the summer.

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I am hesitant to replace water because my filter is not plumbed to a cleanout pipe, so I backwash basically onto my front lawn. I am worried that with chlorine levels this high that I would destroy my lawn if I pumped that heavily chlorinated water onto it? I really need to just plump the backwash to the cleanout of the house so I don't have to worry, our neighborhood isnt a fan of backwashing onto the lawn/street either :x

Those boogers are very interesting........No idea what they are but would love to know what you find out.

If you are having this kind of problems this early in the season you need to find a way to dump some water :( SO sorry

Kim:cat:

I think I am getting close here. The FC level is holding much better at night and throughout the day. One concern regarding my testing procedures.
When doing FC test, after a lot of drops the pink turns clear but then quickly returns back to pink. Is that when the test is done, or do I need to keep dropping until it stays clear? I think this is especially important to know now as a small difference in error could mean think my overnight loss is less then it really is, leading to thinking I'm done slamming when I am not. I feel it is also important when checking for CC as the water is already pink again before adding the 5 drops. Any thoughts? BTW, I have the automatic mixer with the pill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It will flash clear for a second on each drop as it gets close to the number. When the test is finished it will stay clear long enough for you to get the CC reagent. Don't wait like a minute or it will go back pink again.

Okay thanks. I am thinking my FC has probably been higher than the readings I've been getting as I have usually stopped once I see clear, but then it almost always goes to pink again right away. I will make the drops slower so it has time to register more accurately, just takes longer when you have to do 60+ drops :sleep:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.