Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New house, new pool - Algae or damaged plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

New house, new pool - Algae or damaged plaster?

Hello!

We just purchased a new house that has a pool. I've never had a pool before so I've been reading all I can about maintenance here on TFP.

I've managed to get my green swampy water to be crystal clear, but now I can see stuff stuck on the plaster (I'm guessing it's plaster, but I've heard/read something about it being gunite somewhere in the paperwork or discussions).

Here are a couple of pictures of the steps area of the pool. There's this stuff that to me looks like it could be algae or something, but I can't scrub it off even with a brush or my hands, so it makes me think the plaster could be damaged and that's just how the pool is?

On the blue tiles, it definitely looks like something stuck on there. On the deep end of the pool it looks like darker stuff stuck on the bottom, seems to congregate around the main drain on the bottom.

Help!

Attachment 48264

Attachment 48265
    12,500 gallons / in ground / plaster / sand filter / secondary booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New house, new pool - Algae or damaged plaster?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you post up a full set of test results?
    Kind of looks like calcium scaling.

I think the tiles on the stairs are supposed to look like that, if you were asking about them
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply!

Since you mentioned calcium scaling I Googled it and that's definitely what it looks like. I do live in a hard water area (water provided by the city), maybe that could be a cause?

I'll definitely post a set of test results (the weather is bad right now, got to wait for a nice day).

I did a test a few days ago and got these results though:

FC 0.5
    pH 7.5ish
    CYA <20 (possibly 0)

I didn't have time to do the tests for TA and CH, I'll get those soon.

I did add some liquid chlorine and some (9oz) hth brand stabilizer (CYA) from Wal-Mart.

4. Back To Top    #4

If the CH is high and the pH was left to get high for a significant amount of time, that would certainly point to scaling. Does not hurt anything, just not nice to look at.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

While you are waiting for it to (never) stop raining read this.
    Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

If it is scale, more here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

To get rid of it slowly keep your CSI, in Poolmath, -0.5 to -0.6 and brush it as often as you can stand to. The will help over the course of weeks to months depending on how long it has been building up. And it will stop it from getting worse. Once you are happy with it then keep your CSI between -0.1 and -0.3 to avoid scaling in the future.
    More here, Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to read up more on calcium scaling and the CSI.

I was able to get some test results as well:

9 FC
    pH 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 275 - 300
    CYA >0 but <20

I also snapped a few more pictures showing the dark spots on the pool.

Attachment 48456

Attachment 48457

Thanks for your help!

7. Back To Top    #7

It looks like old/etched plaster to me but let's hope it is scaling!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

If the patches are indents it is probably etched plaster.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh man, that doesn't sound good. There are some spots that appears like the previous owners attempted to "patch" the plaster.

I haven't been able to get in the pool just yet. I've only recently been able to get the pool clean (it was a total swamp). Now I have to get the water balanced.

Replastering the pool seems like the best option (if it is damaged plaster), but is probably extremely expensive.

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine cost $10,000, but that's for a very large pool and I did not use basic plaster. Yours should probably be more in the $3,000 range. Maybe someone that's had it done recently in a small pool can chime in.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

It is not a must do right now. Lets see what happens when you follow the procedure given above for getting it balanced then working on the scaling. That will give you time to look around plaster people to get bids from.

I LOVE those steps!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

If those test results are typical then it is not scale. Those numbers are on the other end of the spectrum which is etching. Caused by low PH and low CH and leaching calcium out of the plaster. There is nothing that can be done about it now. No hurry to replaster though as long as it isn't leaking. Keep your CSI between -0.3 ans +0.3 to prevent further issues.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't know what is typical for my pool, this is the first test I've done on it.

Any tips on manipulating the CSI? From what I understand pH and CH are the main determining factors.

So if I wanted to raise the CSI, I could just raise the pH for instance? I suppose I could just play around with PoolMath and see.

Thanks for the help!

14. Back To Top    #14

For sure play around with Pool Math to see what happens when you do this or that.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit