Changes in color/metal during storage

May 13, 2016
Austin, TX
First, a confession: Over the winter I wasn't diligently brushing my pool.

With that out of the way, when I got my pool brush out of the plastic storage hutch outside that it'd been living in, the metal parts of the brush were covered in a kind of chalky substance, like it had oxidized or crystalized or something over the winter. I decided to buy a new brush rather than re-introduce that to my water, but I just pulled out my new brush after a week's storage and the silvery metal parts of it did the same thing, but on a lesser scale. Is this an indication of something bad in my water?

I also noticed that my pool cleaner, which was a kind of naturally sun-faded red, faded to an extreme just from being stored 24 hours in that hutch. There are chemicals and chlorine tablets in there, but they are all sealed. Okay, now that I think about it the lid on the chlorine tablet bucket may not be completely screwed down. Could that cause this? Did I bleach poor Christine with fumes?? (I just went out and got that lid sealed up, either way.)

Worst Pool Parent ever.

It has assorted bottles of things we inherited from the previous owners. Algaecides, clarifiers, etc. And about half a bottle of muriatic acid. The caps on all the bottles are all tightly sealed, it was just the chlorine tablets that weren't. I hate to get overly technical but that lid is mighty persnickity. On the up side, I won't have to open it again for a long time since I've switched to TFPC.

I have actually been planning to start storing the muriatic acid in the house with the bleach bottles because I'm concerned about it being stored outside in 100+ degree weather.

The caps are muriatic acid are designed to leak so that the bottle does not pressurize. That is likely most of your corrosion problem.

You absolutely should NOT store the acid anywhere near any form of chlorine.

I leave my muriatic acid sitting outside near the pool equipment in the shade, so it vents. But, make sure no kids have access to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.