Pool Newbie - Gas Heater Saving Money Questions

Thanks for those that take the time to help a fellow pool newbie.

First season with a 16x32 rectangle pool with 8ft deep end.

Can anyone pass on any tips on heating? ie how to be efficient and save money. For example is it cheaper to completely turn off the heater when not in use or is it better to lower the temperature to reduce heat up time.

I will take any and all tips and tricks.

Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, AND State ... where is Barrie???) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

The biggest tip is use a cover to maintain the heat in the water.
The way to save the most money is to not run the heater :mrgreen:

How you maintain it really depends on how you use it. If you are only using it on the weekends, then likely cheaper to only heat it then or lower the temp during the week.

Whatever you do, it is NOT going to be cheap.

Where are you located and is this a propane or natural gas unit? Natural gas is cheaper in many areas but when you do heat the pool and not using it, keep the pool covered. Invest in a solar blanket.

or is it better to lower the temperature to reduce heat up time.

Thanks

Not really sure what you mean by this^^^^^

When the heater is on, it is on full. there is no low, med. high on a heater. It is a matter of BTU output and desired temperature. This along with the volume (weight) of the water will determine how long the heater stays on. If you are like me, and only use the pool on weekends, then, heating the pool all week long does not make sense. I turn my heater on on friday afternoon to warm it up for the weekend. I set the water temp to be in the mid 80's and how ever long it takes to get there is how long the heater runs. By doing it this way the heater may only run for 4-5 hours depending on the ambient air temps thru the week. If I tried to maintain the temp all week long the run time will be two the three times longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.