My Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Made some progress today... our Palms have arrived, and are in the ground! Time to bust out the photo bucket!

Unfortunately, it was overcast when I took these photos, so no TFP sparkle. But, it is there, just hiding!

First I want to show you our little palm, known as a Mediterranean fan. These are cold hardy to 5° F, and only grow nine inches a year. Has to be one of my favorites. This one is 5-6 feet tall, so about 7-ish years old.

medfan_zpshunjx2z8.png

Now on with the show. Here is a view from the east of the pool looking west.

lookingwest_zpswrdpkzol.png

This is from the west looking east. This is what you see when you walk through our side gate and approach the pool.

lookingeast_zpshbl7npyl.png

Gonna research some ground cover next.

Made some progress today... our Palms have arrived, and are in the ground! Time to bust out the photo bucket!

Unfortunately, it was overcast when I took these photos, so no TFP sparkle. But, it is there, just hiding!

First I want to show you our little palm, known as a Mediterranean fan. These are cold hardy to 5° F, and only grow nine inches a year. Has to be one of my favorites. This one is 5-6 feet tall, so about 7-ish years old.

medfan_zpshunjx2z8.png

This is from the west looking east. This is what you see when you walk through our side gate and approach the pool.

That is some beautiful landscaping Mark!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medfan_zpshunjx2z8.png

You

Does Lantana grow in your zone? Yellow and purple Lantana look really nice around a pool.

Drift roses also make a long blooming ground cover about 2' tall.

Hey Mark, looks great! Love the palms. You've created a wonderful looking retreat in your back yard.
We're still working on putting our yard back together, just got resodded and sprinkler system fixed. We also ended up with some palms (only 3 though). I'll post a few pics on my build thread
Congrats again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What species are the tall palms? I'm in DFW and planted a Windmill. They say Mexican Palms will not grow here, but that's the majority of what is for sale. I really like the Mediterranean Palm, do they always come in multiple trunks?

The tall ones are Medjool date palms. They have to remain tied for 5 weeks. Then they will fan out and not be as tall. If one is male and the other female, I can harvest dates. The tree farm said no way to determine the gender right now, other than genetic test. 50/50

The med fans are almost always multiple trunks. New sprouts will come up, too.

Thank YOU! :bowdown:
Designed by me, with help from TFP!

Good job! Definite props for the designer! Hoping TFP will help us too when we get to that point! I'm sure since they like to help us spend money. Lol

I have no trouble recommending Verdant Tree Farm in Cypress/Houston. The proprietor Patrick is a super nice guy. Don't think he will do Roanoke, VA tho.

Good to know! We'll check them out!!!

The confetti lantana is really hardy--it is pink, yellow, and orange. There is another variety that is red, orange, and yellow. I also love oleanders in a tropical landscape! Love the single trunk medjool. We've been considering palms, and I don't like most varieties, but these are pretty!

The confetti lantana is really hardy--it is pink, yellow, and orange. There is another variety that is red, orange, and yellow. I also love oleanders in a tropical landscape! Love the single trunk medjool. We've been considering palms, and I don't like most varieties, but these are pretty!

One of the reasons those Medjools look good is because their trunks are diamond cut. On a small 3 ft tall trunk (the brown base) like mine, you can maybe get that added for free. The tree farm I used offered that to me at no additional cost. YMMV. And thanks.

your landscaping looks amazing... great job... do you happen to have a before and after pic?

Thanks! I have very few before pics from the same angles, was just too excited to take pics, but here is one.

looking%20west%20before%20sod%20and%20palms_zpssmv5lwdf.png

Here is a pic of the half-built kitchen/bar/cabana that my wife designed. I know she is very proud of this. And you can see the blue surf finish before the pool was filled.

cabana%20and%20kitchen%20after_zpsnu51mkit.png

Here is a closer shot of the diamond cut trunks. And you can see we added a few variegated gingers in between. Hard work when its 95 and humid! The gingers reportedly grow to 6-8 feet high, but a freeze will kill them to the ground. Then they will grow back next year. Recommended by tree farm.

medjools%20and%20variegated%20ginger_zpsddfwfglp.png

Here is a better closeup of diamond cut.

variegated%20ginger%20and%20diamond%20cut2_zpsdnfsrwld.png

And a caution about Medjools! Look carefully.

medjool%20caution_zpsgkkuwuqt.png

The red arrow points to the string, which has to remain tied for 5 weeks. The blue arrow points to, gulp!, 4 inch long spikes. All heck can break loose after that string is cut. The Medjools are a little defensive, it seems. Gonna need a long spoon...

the small new add-on to the house, is that a out side rest room? if so can you please show some pics of it, and inside.... I am in need of a outside restroom but have to be careful on how to design one due to HOA, your small add-on looks perfect for it... I can do something like this and it can definitely work for me because my washer hook ups are in the other side of the wall, it probably wouldn't take much to tie all into it...

Thanks! I have very few before pics from the same angles, was just too excited to take pics, but here is one.

cabana%20and%20kitchen%20after_zpsnu51mkit.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.