Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump humming

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump humming

Went to turn on the filter and the pump is just humming. It will hum for 30 seconds or so and then I have to reset the breakers (although they aren't thrown) to get it to hum again. Read on here that it is probably a bad capacitor. With power off, Took the filter basket out and couldn't reach the impeller. Took the back off and the shaft turns easily, but there is no slot for a flat head screw driver to turn it. I turned it by hand a few times and tried turning on the power but it still just hums. Took the capacitor out and will try to find a replacement tomorrow. I read somewhere that some motors have a run and a start capacitor. There only seems to be one cover on my motor and I only see this one capacitor in the end. It is 25MFD, 370 volts. Is that the start capacitor?
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump humming

Some motors have 2 capacitors, some have 1, and I think some have 0.

If you only have 1 in the back of the motor (no big hump on the side of the motor), then that would be the start capacitor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Not all capacitors are start capacitors, some are there to improve efficiency while running. Other motors have no capacitors at all. The hum and then no hum is likely caused by the thermal overload protection circuit in the motor. It will automatically reset by itself. It is there to protect the motor from catching on fire. Either way since the motor shaft spins free try replacing the capacitor that you see and it will probably solve what ales you.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Not all capacitors are start capacitors, some are there to improve efficiency while running. Other motors have no capacitors at all. The hum and then no hum is likely caused by the thermal overload protection circuit in the motor. It will automatically reset by itself. It is there to protect the motor from catching on fire. Either way since the motor shaft spins free try replacing the capacitor that you see and it will probably solve what ales you.
    I'm hoping so, thank you. I did notice that the shaft was quite hot after it humming for only a bit. I'd really like to get it going at least until I find a capacitor. If I turn it with pliers while someone else turns on the switch, it should start going? I read that it turns counter-clockwise on the pump end, so I'll need to turn it clockwise on the motor/capacitor end.
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

$10 for a capacitor and I'm back up and running!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

back to the lounge chairs and cold beer
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

Life is good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach