SaltWater Pool Opening help

May 17, 2016
Edison, New Jersey
Hello,

First thanks for reading my post. I am new to pool. I have salt water kidney shape pool. Last year we used a service to close the pool, this time I have put everything in place and started the pool. When i open the pool, it was dark green, searched online and found time to shock it.. i added 7 gl shock to pool and let it run for about 48 hours. The pool still looks cloudy but not that much green. I have electronic chlorine generator (Swimplus), the reading shows zero and no flow light stays on.. i tried to unplug and try setting didn't work.. my question is what do i need to do next? all levels are low at the moment. when do i add salt? PH? other things for the pool so it became crystal clear. and what could be wrong with reading box? please advice.

regards,
Matt.

OK, pick up the pack of test strips, walk over to your garbage can and drop them in. Now invest in a real test kit ;)

Test strips are horrendous and just not going to be helpful. BTW, pool store testing has also proven to be very unreliable.

Yes, I am saying that I would not trust any numbers coming out of Leslies.

The link I provided in the first post lists the recommended test kits. If you just want a suggestion: get the TF-100 with the XL option from tftestkits.net

Forget about the SWG and the salt ... you have more important things to worry about like getting the water clear first :D

For all we know right now, there might be a reason that you have to replace water, so why add salt you might pump out?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If FC is falling to zero, you are not adding enough chlorine to the pool, or you are not testing and re-adding often enough.

48 hours is not long at all. SLAM can take several days and occasionally a couple weeks or more.

How do you determine how much chlorine to add after each test?

follow the advice given on the forum word for word even if it requires a slight inconvenience such as having to babysit the pool. Look at their pools, unbelievabley clear and sparkly, these people know what they are doing and can prove it. Read the guides and good luck with your endeavors.

Please fill out your signature. The pool looks like vinyl and there was no need to increase the CH.

Just lower the pH and focus on maintain the shock level FC for your targeted CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.