Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a new pool filter.

1. Back To Top    #1

Choosing a new pool filter.

I currently have a Pentair CC200 filter and thinking of upgrading to the 420. What should I look for a higher filtration rate or GPM. My max pool volume is 24K, plaster pool. I'm slamming the pool to get it clean and not sure that CC200 is turning water. The pressure ranges around 20PSI.. I've cleaned the filter every averaging 4 times a day for the last 2 weeks. I've soaked it twice in TSP as well as placed in acid wash. When I turn on pump the PSI will start between 8-10 and within 5 mins jump to 20. THe max it has gotten to is 25 PSI.... Help, is there something I am doing wrong or should I look at a different pump. My chemicals are okay and maintaining FC levels.

CC200 Filtration Rate 200, GPM 200
    420 Filtration rate 420, GPM 150
    21000gals/in ground/plaster/pentair pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Choosing a new pool filter.

Filtration rate and GPM of a filter do not mater, those are upper limits and generally you want to run much much lower than that anyway.

For a 21k gallon pool, my little calculator suggests a 300 sqft cartridge filter or bigger. Although with a short season (are you in MI??? update profile) you could go smaller, too.

If the water is green, clearing it up with a cartridge filter is annoying as it clogs up so quickly. What don't you post up some test results and lets see what the chemistry tells us ... that is likely more your problem than the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm outside of Dallas Tx and used test strips for the chemical results... The FC dropped since this morning from 3 to 1.

FC 1
    ALK 120
    PH 7.8
    CYA40

Also, the cartridge that I used was a Unicel 9419.. I say used because when I got home tonight my PSI dropped to blow 10. I had a smile on my face until i stopped the pump to clean the filter. When opening the filter I could see that the pressure (I think) was so much that it cracked the center core in multiple places and a portion of the cartridge filter was pushed back into the center core and ripped in a couple of areas. When I pulled the cartridge filter out the bottom section of the center core crumbled into 3 pieces and the top portion into 2 pieces.

4. Back To Top    #4

Test strips are worthless. I high suggest you invest in one of th recommended test kits. And then you need to follow the slam process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 from Amazon and it came yesterday. I'm looking at Youtube videos on how to use. Right now I have the pump running without a cartridge so that the water will turn vs. sitting. Is that okay or will it cause other issues? I ordered a new center core and replacement cartridge (Pleatco PAP 200 M-4) this evening but they will not arrive until Friday. I'll start the slam process again on Saturday.....

6. Back To Top    #6

Good plan with removing the cartridge. You can start SLAMing now and then filter the dead stuff later.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your help... Now if mother nature would only help and stop raining....lol..

8. Back To Top    #8

i'm ready to sart slamming but need to put in new center core. how do you remove the base of the old core?

9. Back To Top    #9

Robert 1906

how do you remove the bottom of the center core?

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Year 3 opening to Green Swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Look at you go! Please stick around and learn everything you can this summer about your pool and what you need to know to close it. There is no reason why you should ever open to emerald green water. Keep SLAMMING!
    Starting the slam process but need to replace a cracked center core for a cartridge filter. Do you know how to remove the center core base?

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Robert 1906

Center core of what?..
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

12. Back To Top    #12

it's the black center piece with holes that the cartridge filter goes on. I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Cartride filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

No need to remove that for cleaning. Is it broken?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes it is broken in several pieces. I have new one but do not know how to remove the base of the broken one.

15. Back To Top    #15

Bummer! It is really hard to tell in the documents but it looks like you need to remove the lower bulkhead fitting from the filter housing. Which is the outlet.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Center Core Base.jpg Here is a pic of the center core base that I am trying to remove.

17. Back To Top    #17

I got nothin, can you back that pic up a hit for an overall view?
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

19. Back To Top    #19

Here is an over head view with the center core base at the bottom.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Can you take a picture of the top and bottom of the NEW piece and post those here? That may help to determine how to remove the old piece.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast