Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foggy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Foggy water

My pool has been open for a few weeks with no problems. I noticed the pool was a bit cloudy and burning through more bleach than anticipated. At the point I have had 0 fc readings twice. I am headed to the store for some bleach and plan to add just after sunset, test in 30 min, then see what happens overnight. Is there anything I should be watching out for? FC 0, CC 0, TA 90, PH 7.5, CH 40, CY 40
    20x40 30k gal vinyl, Inline Tri-Chlor Chlorinator, Hayward 250K btu heater, Hayward 2HP Super Pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Foggy water

I would get FC up to 10 and do an OCLT. Minimum FC for 40 CYA is 3, which you have fallen below twice. There is probably algae in there!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

With your pool size, I would wait an hour to retest just to make sure the chlorine circulated well. If it hasn't, your reading may be low.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tri-Chlor feeder is empty, right?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I filed the feeder this morning because I ran out of liquid chlorine, turned it up, and ran the pumps most of the day. I will am emptying now so the OCLT is accurate. Why 10ppm target if shock level on pool math chart is 16?

5. Back To Top    #5

There has been debate about how high the FC needs to be for an OCLT. Since you have dropped to zero FC twice, you probably need to take it to your 16 shock level anyway. Whether you do an OCLT tonight is your call, but since it is cloudy, my guess is that you are in slam mode. If it were my pool, I would take it to 16 and see where it is in the morning.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're already cloudy and in the process of a bloom. Slam the pool now and always make sure you have enough chlorine to feed the pool. When you get down to 2-3 jus of bleach, go buy more.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter