Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Practices Needed on Negotiating the final price

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Practices Needed on Negotiating the final price

Looking for some first hand experience on how to drive down the bid from pool builders. My best attempt has just been saying that I am leaning towards another guy. The one pool builder dropped 2% margin "to get the deal done".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Practices Needed on Negotiating the final price

What i did was getting some bids and after i know what is the price for each component in my area I told the next guy (the builder i wanted to use after some research) that I want it done in X amount of $$, for me it worked.... so basically i told him the price of building my pool instead him suggesting a price.
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Yaniv View Post
    What i did was getting some bids and after i know what is the price for each component in my area I told the next guy (the builder i wanted to use after some research) that I want it done in X amount of $$, for me it worked.... so basically i told him the price of building my pool instead him suggesting a price.
    I don't know exactly how much margin they are padding, but ultimately I am hoping to erode at least $2-$3k while getting the same product. Going back and forth has been working well, but at some point, it is going to get annoying for them.

4. Back To Top    #4

I told him what I wanted and what I wanted to pay. He came almost to my price. I think he ate some commission.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
    I don't know exactly how much margin they are padding, but ultimately I am hoping to erode at least $2-$3k while getting the same product. Going back and forth has been working well, but at some point, it is going to get annoying for them.
    What is the total bid?
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    What is the total bid?
    Most bids are coming in around $69k.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thwn getting 2 to 3k reduction should be possible.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator