Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 18 Foot Pool with Deck (Photos)

1. Back To Top    #1

18 Foot Pool with Deck (Photos)

Put up the Intex 18 foot by 52 inch saltwater pool two summers ago. First summer I put it up in August and the leveling was off by about 3 1/2 inches. It was too hot and I didn't feel like getting it any better. Took it down over the winter and releveled in the spring of 2015 and am now about a 1/2 inch off and it is great.

Well just this past weekend me and the GF added a 10/10 ish deck to a quarter of the pool. We have really enjoyed the pool but now feel like the deck is taking it to a whole nother level. Have a permanent ladder coming in tomorrow and still need to add my railings and lattice to the bottom.

Here are some photos.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 18 Foot Pool with Deck (Photos)

Looks really nice! Enjoy your summer!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I wanted to do, but my HOA requires decks to be at ground level. So my deck is about the same as yours, but at ground level, with wooden stair steps leading up to the pool edge.
    18 foot diameter, 52" tall above ground Cornelius pool, with vinyl liner, and resin wall caps.
    Roughly 7600 gallons
    Blue Wave "Sandman" Sand filter/pump, model NE6150. Pump is 1 HP
    Intex SWG, model # 54601E

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Good work! Very nice addition.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That is a nice looking deck there
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys and gals, going to finish the railings tonight and will post photos of the finished product.

7. Back To Top    #7

Very nicely done! I'm currently undertaking the same project, but 2 decks. One is 16x20 off the house and the other is 8x12 to the pool that drops down from the other. Tons of work, but totally worth the effort.
    Outback Southport GLX AGP (18' round - 7,180 gal.)
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL Multivalve
    Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter (150 lb.)
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

well done
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

9. Back To Top    #9

looks great
    AG - Round pool 27'x52" aprox 17200 gallons Manufacturer & Model Unknown
    Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft
    Hayward Matrix pump - Motor 2 Hp W/ Switch ( SP1520Z1ESC) Heater - RayPac 150,000 BTU Test Kit - TF 100 Test Kit - pool is filled with softened well water

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent job, can't wait to see the finished product!
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is the finished product. Had a little party of 10 people over the weekend and it worked great. Cannonballs have been taken to a whole new level.

IMG_2257.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Ooh la la! That is a beautiful deck.
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks very nice.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Would you be willing to share building plans, process and costs? I'm wanting to do the same but not real sure where to start.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by luckylogsey View Post
    Would you be willing to share building plans, process and costs? I'm wanting to do the same but not real sure where to start.
    Welcome to TFP

While I don't have plans I have some pictures that may help in my build below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks nice!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by luckylogsey View Post
    Didn't really use any plans. I spent about $800 for the deck and another $100 for the ladder. Did watch the video linked below for an idea of how to do it. I went with the concrete footings instead of digging holes. I also wanted it to be 10X10 ish with a little cutout for the pool. That way you can buy 10 foot joists and deck boards with little cutting involved since all I had was a circular saw. Here is my best description below:

Put up the 4x4x8s in the concrete footings with a 2x8x10 outer board screwed in. I only put one screw in for the time being to allow for leveling adjustments. Found it easiest to get the leveling as close as possible and then move the concrete footings as needed for the final adjustments. Once the outer framing was put on the posts, the rest went together pretty easy. Leveling is the most important and hardest part of the build.

Then I put in the 2x8x10 joist boards about 18 inches apart. Once those were in I put in a 2x4x10 under the joist boards down the middle for further stability. I also screwed in joist brackets under each joist.

Then put the 10 foot deck boards on top of the joists with screws. I went with screws over nails for the entire build. I used 2 1/2 inch long nails for almost everything and a some 1 1/2 inch screws for a little of the build.

Then installed the steps on the side. I had to combine a five step and a four step put together to get it up to the height I needed. I just bought the pre-made stair stuff from Lowes. I had to dig down a little in the dirt to get it leveled correctly and I also put a couple of small pavers underneath each leg of the stairs.

I used deck boards for the top railing and put up 1x4x10 for the outer railing with 1x2x10 in between those. I probably plan on putting on some lattice in the fall for the bottom. I also stained it with a sealant/stain combo. Though I've heard you maybe should hold off on doing that for about a year or so.

Please ask if you have any questions. It really wasn't too difficult at all and I had zero experience and only had a drill and a circular saw. A buddy did lend me a his vibrating sander for the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbhAOuOjeE

18. Back To Top    #18

Now you have a small take-off pad for cannonballs. Nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk76 View Post
    Didn't really use any plans. I spent about $800 for the deck and another $100 for the ladder. Did watch the video linked below for an idea of how to do it. I went with the concrete footings instead of digging holes. I also wanted it to be 10X10 ish with a little cutout for the pool. That way you can buy 10 foot joists and deck boards with little cutting involved since all I had was a circular saw. Here is my best description below:

Put up the 4x4x8s in the concrete footings with a 2x8x10 outer board screwed in. I only put one screw in for the time being to allow for leveling adjustments. Found it easiest to get the leveling as close as possible and then move the concrete footings as needed for the final adjustments. Once the outer framing was put on the posts, the rest went together pretty easy. Leveling is the most important and hardest part of the build.

Then I put in the 2x8x10 joist boards about 18 inches apart. Once those were in I put in a 2x4x10 under the joist boards down the middle for further stability. I also screwed in joist brackets under each joist.

Then put the 10 foot deck boards on top of the joists with screws. I went with screws over nails for the entire build. I used 2 1/2 inch long nails for almost everything and a some 1 1/2 inch screws for a little of the build.

Then installed the steps on the side. I had to combine a five step and a four step put together to get it up to the height I needed. I just bought the pre-made stair stuff from Lowes. I had to dig down a little in the dirt to get it leveled correctly and I also put a couple of small pavers underneath each leg of the stairs.

I used deck boards for the top railing and put up 1x4x10 for the outer railing with 1x2x10 in between those. I probably plan on putting on some lattice in the fall for the bottom. I also stained it with a sealant/stain combo. Though I've heard you maybe should hold off on doing that for about a year or so.

Please ask if you have any questions. It really wasn't too difficult at all and I had zero experience and only had a drill and a circular saw. A buddy did lend me a his vibrating sander for the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJbhAOuOjeE
    Thanks for the info! Great explanation. Plan on tackling this maybe fall or external spring. Looks great.
    18x48 coleman ultra frame
    Intex 2800 sand filter no saltwater
    Southern indiana